May 28, 2009, 1:24 PM EDT
Prior to last night there had been a total of 1,279 instances of a
player striking out at least four times in a game since Jones joined
the Braves’ lineup full time in 1995.
But wait, there’s more (blame the wonder that is Baseball-Reference.com).
Those 1,279 instances came from 577 different players, 14 of whom
had double-digit games with at least four strikeouts before Jones even
had one. Jim Thome led the double-digit crew with 16 four-strikeout
games, followed by Sammy Sosa with 15.
Jones watched 28 different Braves teammates strike out four or more
times in a game before joining the club himself, led by Andruw Jones
with 10. Jeff Francoeur and Kelly Johnson were among those 28 and
according to Jones “they shook my hand and welcomed me in.”
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8