May 28, 2009, 1:24 PM EDT
Prior to last night there had been a total of 1,279 instances of a
player striking out at least four times in a game since Jones joined
the Braves’ lineup full time in 1995.
But wait, there’s more (blame the wonder that is Baseball-Reference.com).
Those 1,279 instances came from 577 different players, 14 of whom
had double-digit games with at least four strikeouts before Jones even
had one. Jim Thome led the double-digit crew with 16 four-strikeout
games, followed by Sammy Sosa with 15.
Jones watched 28 different Braves teammates strike out four or more
times in a game before joining the club himself, led by Andruw Jones
with 10. Jeff Francoeur and Kelly Johnson were among those 28 and
according to Jones “they shook my hand and welcomed me in.”
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)