May 28, 2009, 1:24 PM EST
Prior to last night there had been a total of 1,279 instances of a
player striking out at least four times in a game since Jones joined
the Braves’ lineup full time in 1995.
But wait, there’s more (blame the wonder that is Baseball-Reference.com).
Those 1,279 instances came from 577 different players, 14 of whom
had double-digit games with at least four strikeouts before Jones even
had one. Jim Thome led the double-digit crew with 16 four-strikeout
games, followed by Sammy Sosa with 15.
Jones watched 28 different Braves teammates strike out four or more
times in a game before joining the club himself, led by Andruw Jones
with 10. Jeff Francoeur and Kelly Johnson were among those 28 and
according to Jones “they shook my hand and welcomed me in.”
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 26
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 56
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)