May 28, 2009, 2:04 PM EST
Last week Milton Bradley complained that his various run-ins with umpires have caused the men in blue to widen their strike zone when he’s at the plate:
Unfortunately, I just think it’s a lot of “Oh, you did this to my
colleague,” or “We’re going to get him any time we can. As soon as he
gets two strikes, we’re going to call whatever and see what he does.
Let’s try to ruin Milton Bradley.” It’s just unfortunate. But I’m going
to come out on top. I always do.
What am I supposed to do? You lead the American League in OPS, and
two years in the top three in the league in on-base percentage. All of
a sudden now, I come to Chicago and I can’t see the ball no more? I
don’t know a strike from a ball? I don’t think I’m doing anything
wrong. There’s a lot involved, and it’s a lot of politics where there’s
nothing you can do about it.
The beauty of being a baseball fan in 2009 is that smart people have
access to the data necessary to actually investigate those types of
claims. Dave Allen of Baseball Analysts did just that, breaking down MLB.com’s PitchF/X data to see whether Bradley’s strike zone has indeed expanded recently.
His lengthy analysis is definitely worth reading, if only for the
cool-looking charts of the strike zone, but the short version is that
“there is no statistical difference between Bradley’s zone this year
and his zone in 2007 and 2008.”
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)