May 28, 2009, 2:04 PM EDT
Last week Milton Bradley complained that his various run-ins with umpires have caused the men in blue to widen their strike zone when he’s at the plate:
Unfortunately, I just think it’s a lot of “Oh, you did this to my
colleague,” or “We’re going to get him any time we can. As soon as he
gets two strikes, we’re going to call whatever and see what he does.
Let’s try to ruin Milton Bradley.” It’s just unfortunate. But I’m going
to come out on top. I always do.
What am I supposed to do? You lead the American League in OPS, and
two years in the top three in the league in on-base percentage. All of
a sudden now, I come to Chicago and I can’t see the ball no more? I
don’t know a strike from a ball? I don’t think I’m doing anything
wrong. There’s a lot involved, and it’s a lot of politics where there’s
nothing you can do about it.
The beauty of being a baseball fan in 2009 is that smart people have
access to the data necessary to actually investigate those types of
claims. Dave Allen of Baseball Analysts did just that, breaking down MLB.com’s PitchF/X data to see whether Bradley’s strike zone has indeed expanded recently.
His lengthy analysis is definitely worth reading, if only for the
cool-looking charts of the strike zone, but the short version is that
“there is no statistical difference between Bradley’s zone this year
and his zone in 2007 and 2008.”
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 18
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 66
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)