May 29, 2009, 3:31 PM EDT
The White Sox were able to get Carlos Quentin at a discount from the
Diamondbacks last offseason because he was coming off shoulder surgery,
but he’s had different injury problems since arriving in Chicago.
Gambling on Quentin’s health paid huge dividends for the White Sox
last season, as he hit .288/.394/.571 with 36 homers and 100 RBIs in
130 games to finish fifth in the AL MVP balloting. However, he missed
the final month of the season and the playoffs with a broken wrist.
Quentin got off to a strong start this year, hitting .253/.374/.587
with eight homers in April to show that his wrist was no longer an
issue. Unfortunately, he began having problems with his left foot once
the calendar flipped to May and has been in and out of the lineup for
the past three weeks while going 11-for-56 (.196) with zero homers.
After saying last week that he planned to simply play through the
pain, Quentin felt a “pop” in his foot while running the bases Monday
and hasn’t played since. He left the team to have his foot examined by
doctors back in Chicago and the White Sox placed Quentin on the
disabled list this afternoon.
Chicago has scored the second-fewest runs in the league and
replacing Quentin’s big bat with the likes of Scott Podsednik and
DeWayne Wise certainly won’t help matters. His injury, plantar fasciitis, is more common among NBA players and often leads to long stretches on the sidelines because playing through the pain typically proves extremely difficult.
Last week general manager Kenny Williams made an unsuccessful run
at Jake Peavy, but with the White Sox now sitting in fourth place at
21-25 and facing life without Quentin it may be time for the reigning
AL Central champions to shift gears with an eye toward 2010 and beyond.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)