Quote of the Day: Firing Cooper 'not in the cards'

May 29, 2009, 12:41 PM EDT

Astros owner Drayton McLane, on speculation that manager Cecil Cooper is on the verge of being fired:

Firing the manager is not in the cards. He’s only been the manager
for a year and a half. I think that’s somewhat premature. When you’re
real good that doesn’t last forever. When you’re playing real bad that
doesn’t last forever. That’s not in the cards. We’ve got to work
through this.

McLane’s comments are particularly interesting because earlier this
week general manager Ed Wade refused to “play the vote of confidence
game” when asked if Cooper’s job status was in question. Here’s exactly
what Wade said at the time:

I’ve been a GM now for 10 years. I don’t get into votes of
confidence. I don’t think there’s any value to it. In 10 years as GM, I
never asked for votes of confidence, and I’ve never given votes of
confidence. It’s just media speak and doesn’t lend anything to the
situation.

Wade is right that a “vote of confidence” is basically meaningless,
except the fact that it’s even an issue tends to signal that a manager
is very close to being fired. Obviously the owner of a team saying that
“firing the manager is not in the cards” is a pretty strong indication
that Cooper’s job is safe in the short term, but the Astros are in last
place at 18-27 and the clubhouse appears to be unraveling.

According to Jose Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle,
Cooper “has lost a great portion of his clubhouse’s support and with
some players even their respect.” Ortiz reports that earlier this week
one Astros player told him: “It’s going to be Coop or me soon. Just watch.”

1. Loren Niemann - Jan 17, 2010 at 4:10 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

2. Erlinda Istre - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.You have done a marvellous job!

3. windows spyware - Jan 23, 2010 at 1:55 AM

This is just wonderful :D Thankyou for making this available!!!

4. Aileen Novicki - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hello there, awesome article, I really enjoyed reading it. the article gave me the momentum to attempt my own blog, please check out my article by clicking my name at the top of this article, cheers

5. Jim O'Brian - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Thank you for your help!

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB