May 29, 2009, 1:29 PM EDT
According to the Dallas Morning News,
earlier this week a female Rangers fan wearing a “Yankees Suck” t-shirt
was asked to either turn it inside out or leave the ballpark … in
But wait, it gets better. Kristen Knapp-Webb was at the
Rangers-Yankees game celebrating her 19th wedding anniversary and her
husband Walter had given her the shirt as an anniversary present. All
of which puts her in contention for “Wife of the Year” honors.
Anyway, security approached the happy couple before the game and
informed them that they considered her shirt “profane.” I’m assuming
that they meant the “suck” part and not the “Yankees” part, but you
never know. Here’s what Rangers spokesperson John Blake said afterward:
That particular phrase is one we’ve received a lot of complaints
about. That kind of thing is offensive to a lot of people, especially
if you have young children and that kind of thing. And I think that’s
why we have that policy.
As someone who has this t-shirt in his closet–here’s proof,
if you don’t believe me–I’m perhaps somewhat biased on this topic, but
the notion of protecting “young children” from seeing the word “suck”
on a piece of clothing seems fairly ridiculous. After all, the Morning News has no problem putting “Yankees Suck” in the story’s headline, and presumably more children read the newspaper than a woman’s t-shirt.
Plus, raising children to hate the Yankees is part of what makes America great.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1