Jun 1, 2009, 2:54 PM EDT
Texas and Boston College played the longest game in NCAA history Saturday night, with the Longhorns prevailing 3-2 in 25 innings.
While guys like me are worrying about the Stephen Strasburgs of the
world throwing 120 pitches in a start, Austin Wood of Texas threw a
ridiculous 169 pitches … out of the bullpen. Seriously.
Wood tossed 13 innings of relief, including 12.1 no-hit frames, and
said afterward: “I can’t believe I threw 13 innings. I was tired, but
we never doubted that we were going to win that game.” Then his arm
disintegrated as reporters looked on.
Texas coach and all-time Division I wins leader Augie Garrido called
it “the best pitching performance I have ever seen.” Boston college
coach Mik Aoki wasn’t quite as willing to shred his pitchers’ arms, so
he only let Mike Belfiore throw 9.2 innings out of the pen.
The seven-hour, three-minute game finally came to an end thanks to
Travis Tucker singling in the go-ahead run in his NCAA-record 12th
Along with Strasburg losing for the first time
and Texas winning in 25 innings, the opening round of the NCAA
tournament also saw Florida State jump out to a 32-0 lead over Ohio
State on the way to a 37-6 victory.
FSU had 66 total bases on 38 hits, including 15 doubles. As Ohio State
coach Bob Todd put it: “Everything they did was right. Everything we
did was wrong.” It’s not quite March Madness, but the NCAA baseball
tournament has been pretty damn interesting so far.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)