Jun 1, 2009, 2:54 PM EDT
Texas and Boston College played the longest game in NCAA history Saturday night, with the Longhorns prevailing 3-2 in 25 innings.
While guys like me are worrying about the Stephen Strasburgs of the
world throwing 120 pitches in a start, Austin Wood of Texas threw a
ridiculous 169 pitches … out of the bullpen. Seriously.
Wood tossed 13 innings of relief, including 12.1 no-hit frames, and
said afterward: “I can’t believe I threw 13 innings. I was tired, but
we never doubted that we were going to win that game.” Then his arm
disintegrated as reporters looked on.
Texas coach and all-time Division I wins leader Augie Garrido called
it “the best pitching performance I have ever seen.” Boston college
coach Mik Aoki wasn’t quite as willing to shred his pitchers’ arms, so
he only let Mike Belfiore throw 9.2 innings out of the pen.
The seven-hour, three-minute game finally came to an end thanks to
Travis Tucker singling in the go-ahead run in his NCAA-record 12th
Along with Strasburg losing for the first time
and Texas winning in 25 innings, the opening round of the NCAA
tournament also saw Florida State jump out to a 32-0 lead over Ohio
State on the way to a 37-6 victory.
FSU had 66 total bases on 38 hits, including 15 doubles. As Ohio State
coach Bob Todd put it: “Everything they did was right. Everything we
did was wrong.” It’s not quite March Madness, but the NCAA baseball
tournament has been pretty damn interesting so far.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)