Jun 1, 2009, 2:03 PM EST
John Smoltz’s minor-league rehab outing last week at Double-A drew mixed reviews, as scouts in attendance were far from impressed with his post-surgery stuff despite 3.1 innings of one-run ball.
He took the mound again yesterday at high Single-A and allowed one run
over five innings. While there’s no scouting report on his outing, it’s
safe to assume that Smoltz looked pretty decent while striking out six, walking zero, allowing just four hits, and throwing 52 of 73 pitches for strikes.
“I felt really good,” Smoltz said.
“I think I’m going to get a little more complete each time. For the
most part, I’m really pleased with today’s effort. I felt really fresh
in the fifth inning, even though it’s the longest stint I’ve had.”
Smoltz has a 1.59 ERA and 10/0 K/BB ratio through three rehab
outings and will now move up to Triple-A Pawtucket, where he’s
scheduled to make two starts before potentially being cleared to join
the Red Sox’s rotation.
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 13
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)