Jun 1, 2009, 12:19 PM EDT
* Chico Harlan of the Washington Post speculates that Nationals manager Manny Acta’s job is in danger after general manager Mike Rizzo tip-toed around the issue yesterday.
I’m an Acta fan because he’s engaging and interested in sabermetrics,
but he’s also 145-227 (.390) as Nationals skipper and the team has lost
15 of 17 games on the way to an MLB-worst 13-36 record.
* Jeremy Bonderman made his third minor-league rehab start last night at Triple-A,
totaling five strikeouts and zero walks over eight shutout innings.
However, his fastball was clocked at 88-90 miles per hour compared to
Bonderman’s pre-injury average of 92-94 mph.
* Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports
that “there is almost zero chance” of the Yankees re-signing impending
free agent Hideki Matsui “even if he were to finish with a strong
season.” Matsui is hitting .263/.347/.487 in 44 games and turns 35
years old next week.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 20
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 16
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)