Jun 1, 2009, 11:26 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg started the NCAA tournament opener for San Diego
State on Friday night and the game against Virginia was televised on
ESPN Classic, giving many people their first look at the phenom who’ll
be the No. 1 overall pick next week.
Virginia jumped on Strasburg early with a solo homer in the first
inning and then turned two singles and two wild pitches into another
run in the second frame.
Strasburg was pretty much untouchable after that, using his high-90s
fastball and video game-like slider to rack up 15 strikeouts and zero
walks over seven innings, but enough damage was already done.
San Diego State’s offense couldn’t break through against Virginia
starter Robert Morey and the bullpen coughed up three runs once
Strasburg departed, leading to a 5-1 loss. The Aztecs staved off elimination Saturday with a win over Fresno State, but were knocked out of the tournament yesterday with a 14-3 loss to UC Irvine.
Strasburg’s college career isn’t officially over yet because he’s just
a junior, but there’s little chance of him returning for another season
even if contract negotiations with the Nationals break down. Despite
finishing on a losing note, Strasburg was dominant even in defeat and
ends his historic season 13-1 with a 1.32 ERA and 195/19 K/BB ratio in
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)