Jun 1, 2009, 11:26 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg started the NCAA tournament opener for San Diego
State on Friday night and the game against Virginia was televised on
ESPN Classic, giving many people their first look at the phenom who’ll
be the No. 1 overall pick next week.
Virginia jumped on Strasburg early with a solo homer in the first
inning and then turned two singles and two wild pitches into another
run in the second frame.
Strasburg was pretty much untouchable after that, using his high-90s
fastball and video game-like slider to rack up 15 strikeouts and zero
walks over seven innings, but enough damage was already done.
San Diego State’s offense couldn’t break through against Virginia
starter Robert Morey and the bullpen coughed up three runs once
Strasburg departed, leading to a 5-1 loss. The Aztecs staved off elimination Saturday with a win over Fresno State, but were knocked out of the tournament yesterday with a 14-3 loss to UC Irvine.
Strasburg’s college career isn’t officially over yet because he’s just
a junior, but there’s little chance of him returning for another season
even if contract negotiations with the Nationals break down. Despite
finishing on a losing note, Strasburg was dominant even in defeat and
ends his historic season 13-1 with a 1.32 ERA and 195/19 K/BB ratio in
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 95
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)