Jun 1, 2009, 11:26 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg started the NCAA tournament opener for San Diego
State on Friday night and the game against Virginia was televised on
ESPN Classic, giving many people their first look at the phenom who’ll
be the No. 1 overall pick next week.
Virginia jumped on Strasburg early with a solo homer in the first
inning and then turned two singles and two wild pitches into another
run in the second frame.
Strasburg was pretty much untouchable after that, using his high-90s
fastball and video game-like slider to rack up 15 strikeouts and zero
walks over seven innings, but enough damage was already done.
San Diego State’s offense couldn’t break through against Virginia
starter Robert Morey and the bullpen coughed up three runs once
Strasburg departed, leading to a 5-1 loss. The Aztecs staved off elimination Saturday with a win over Fresno State, but were knocked out of the tournament yesterday with a 14-3 loss to UC Irvine.
Strasburg’s college career isn’t officially over yet because he’s just
a junior, but there’s little chance of him returning for another season
even if contract negotiations with the Nationals break down. Despite
finishing on a losing note, Strasburg was dominant even in defeat and
ends his historic season 13-1 with a 1.32 ERA and 195/19 K/BB ratio in
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 2
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 29
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)