Jun 3, 2009, 3:29 PM EST
* I’m on the fence about the “fire pit” at the Twins’ new ballpark, but the Brewers coming up with the idea to use their parking lot for drive-in movies is brilliant. The initial movie selections are good (Anchorman and Jaws the first night, The Sandlot and Major League the second night) and I can only imagine the number of bratwursts that will be consumed by all the tailgating veterans.
* Speaking of the Brewers, they aren’t sure what to make of
Manny Parra. He got off to a great start as a rookie last year, going
8-2 with a 3.65 ERA through mid-July, but since then the 26-year-old
southpaw is 5-13 with a 5.97 ERA in 129.2 innings. “I’m trying to
figure him out, a little bit,” manager Ken Macha said. Somewhere, Al Bethke is shaking his head.
* And speaking of movies, Brad Pitt has started pre-production work on the Moneyball film, which apparently involves wearing hats and boarding private jets.
* I was watching the Twins-Indians game last night when Asdrubal Cabrera went down in a heap
following what appeared to be a fairly low-impact collision with
Brendan Harris at second base. Despite how benign the play looked
Cabrera writhed in pain for several minutes before being helped off the
field with his left arm dangling at his side, and he’s been diagnosed with a separated shoulder.
* You’ll never believe this, but Milton Bradley is out of the lineup again with another “day-to-day” injury.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)