Jun 3, 2009, 3:29 PM EDT
* I’m on the fence about the “fire pit” at the Twins’ new ballpark, but the Brewers coming up with the idea to use their parking lot for drive-in movies is brilliant. The initial movie selections are good (Anchorman and Jaws the first night, The Sandlot and Major League the second night) and I can only imagine the number of bratwursts that will be consumed by all the tailgating veterans.
* Speaking of the Brewers, they aren’t sure what to make of
Manny Parra. He got off to a great start as a rookie last year, going
8-2 with a 3.65 ERA through mid-July, but since then the 26-year-old
southpaw is 5-13 with a 5.97 ERA in 129.2 innings. “I’m trying to
figure him out, a little bit,” manager Ken Macha said. Somewhere, Al Bethke is shaking his head.
* And speaking of movies, Brad Pitt has started pre-production work on the Moneyball film, which apparently involves wearing hats and boarding private jets.
* I was watching the Twins-Indians game last night when Asdrubal Cabrera went down in a heap
following what appeared to be a fairly low-impact collision with
Brendan Harris at second base. Despite how benign the play looked
Cabrera writhed in pain for several minutes before being helped off the
field with his left arm dangling at his side, and he’s been diagnosed with a separated shoulder.
* You’ll never believe this, but Milton Bradley is out of the lineup again with another “day-to-day” injury.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)