Jun 3, 2009, 2:22 PM EDT
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post notes
that viewership for the Nationals’ television broadcasts is up 56
percent so far this season, which sounds great until you realize that
increase basically amounts to 3,000 extra people watching each game.
According to Steinberg the Nationals are now averaging about 12,000
viewers per game, which is “easily the worst in the country” and “about
a third the television audience of every other U.S. franchise” save for
the A’s. For comparison, the Orioles are averaging 34,000 viewers per
game and the Yankees lead baseball at 320,000.
I’m absolutely shocked by an MLB team drawing only 9,000 or 12,000
television viewers per game, but apparently my perception of baseball’s
popularity within each market is simply way off base. In looking at Sports Business Journal‘s chart showing viewership numbers, nearly every team is significantly under what I’d have guessed.
Only the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Mariners, Tigers,
Dodgers, and my beloved Twins have an average TV audience over 100,000
people, and the Nationals and Orioles are among nine teams that average
fewer than 50,000 viewers per game.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)