Jun 3, 2009, 2:22 PM EST
Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post notes
that viewership for the Nationals’ television broadcasts is up 56
percent so far this season, which sounds great until you realize that
increase basically amounts to 3,000 extra people watching each game.
According to Steinberg the Nationals are now averaging about 12,000
viewers per game, which is “easily the worst in the country” and “about
a third the television audience of every other U.S. franchise” save for
the A’s. For comparison, the Orioles are averaging 34,000 viewers per
game and the Yankees lead baseball at 320,000.
I’m absolutely shocked by an MLB team drawing only 9,000 or 12,000
television viewers per game, but apparently my perception of baseball’s
popularity within each market is simply way off base. In looking at Sports Business Journal‘s chart showing viewership numbers, nearly every team is significantly under what I’d have guessed.
Only the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Phillies, Mariners, Tigers,
Dodgers, and my beloved Twins have an average TV audience over 100,000
people, and the Nationals and Orioles are among nine teams that average
fewer than 50,000 viewers per game.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)