Jun 3, 2009, 4:46 PM EDT
– With not nearly as many intriguing pitching matchups on the schedule
as on Tuesday, it will be easy enough to key in on the potential
history-making event tonight.
Game of the Night
San Francisco vs. Washington – Randy Johnson’s first try for win No.
300 will come against the Nationals, the team he beat for win No. 298
on May 11. It’s also the franchise he pitched for when he earned his
first three career victories in 1988. He went on to spend part of 1989
with the Expos, going 0-4 with a 6.67 ERA before being traded to the
Mariners. Since then, he pitched against the ExpoNats 10 times, going
4-3 with a 2.99 ERA.
If Johnson does pick up the victory, he’ll be the 24th pitcher to
300 and he’ll join Lefty Grove and Early Winn in a three-way tie for
22nd place on the all-time list. At 45, he’d be the second-oldest
pitcher to get to 300 wins, behind only Phil Niekro.
The Nationals will go Jordan Zimmermann, who has been looking for
career win No. 3 for five weeks now. Since winning his first two major
league starts, he’s 0-2 with a 7.27 ERA in six outings.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)