Jun 5, 2009, 9:02 AM EST
Jose Reyes can add “small tear in a hamstring tendon” to his list of health issues:
Don’t count on seeing Jose Reyes back on the field anytime soon.
Reyes, who removed himself from an extended spring-training game
Wednesday after his second at-bat with continued right calf discomfort,
had an MRI in New York Thursday that revealed what the Mets said in a
statement was a “small tear in his right hamstring tendon, a new
injury.” The statement also said, “Reyes will rest for two days and
then resume treatment.”
As James at Amazin’ Avenue notes,
the key to whether this is merely bad news or disastrous news has less
to do with how Reyes responds to treatment and rehab than it does to
how Omar Minaya responds to it:
Please do not purge the farm system for Matt Holliday or Carlos Lee.
Seeking out a blockbuster trade at this point would be silly, as most
other GMs (yes, even Ed Wade) can sense the semi-desperate
circumstances surrounding your team . . . Take a deep breath and
realize that the Mets’ core is outstanding and still relatively young.
Residing in your improving minor league system are young fireballers
Brad Holt and Jenrry Mejia, an OBP-machine of a catcher in Josh Thole,
and a 20 year-old outfield phenom named Fernando Martinez. None of them
should be wearing Oakland Athletics green and yellow uniforms at any
point this season.
I’m not the biggest Omar Minaya admirer in the world, but I have to
think that even he wouldn’t go all-in for yet another corner outfielder
type. If he does anything silly it will be to try and fix the specific
hole that Reyes’ injuries have created — leadoff hitter and/or
shortstop — and I don’t believe that there’s anyone available that
fits that description for whom even a panicky Minaya would risk
mortgaging the future.
Though I’m sure nervous Mets fans will tell me if I’m wrong about this.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)