Jun 5, 2009, 4:02 PM EDT
* The latest reason why he’s one of my favorite managers: Jim Leyland apologized
and admitted that he “was totally out of line” after being ejected from
yesterday’s game for arguing balls and strikes with an imploding
Dontrelle Willis on the mound.
* As expected, the Mets have confirmed
that J.J. Putz will miss 8-10 weeks following surgery to remove bone
spurs from his elbow. Rookie Bobby Parnell will continue to serve as
Francisco Rodriguez’s primary setup man.
* Geovany Soto is hitting just .209 with one homer in 42 games, so Lou Piniella has decided to give the reigning Rookie of the Year “a nice little mental break” while starting Koyie Hill behind the plate.
* Bill Hall has hit .221/.289/.385 in 175 games since the beginning of last season and it sounds like
the Brewers are finally running out of patience. Unfortunately for
them, he’s making $6.8 million this season with another $8.4 million
coming next year.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com penned an interesting, even-handed article about college pitchers racking up huge workloads.
* Justin Morneau takes a crack at blogging, with mixed results.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)