Jun 5, 2009, 4:02 PM EDT
* The latest reason why he’s one of my favorite managers: Jim Leyland apologized
and admitted that he “was totally out of line” after being ejected from
yesterday’s game for arguing balls and strikes with an imploding
Dontrelle Willis on the mound.
* As expected, the Mets have confirmed
that J.J. Putz will miss 8-10 weeks following surgery to remove bone
spurs from his elbow. Rookie Bobby Parnell will continue to serve as
Francisco Rodriguez’s primary setup man.
* Geovany Soto is hitting just .209 with one homer in 42 games, so Lou Piniella has decided to give the reigning Rookie of the Year “a nice little mental break” while starting Koyie Hill behind the plate.
* Bill Hall has hit .221/.289/.385 in 175 games since the beginning of last season and it sounds like
the Brewers are finally running out of patience. Unfortunately for
them, he’s making $6.8 million this season with another $8.4 million
coming next year.
* Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com penned an interesting, even-handed article about college pitchers racking up huge workloads.
* Justin Morneau takes a crack at blogging, with mixed results.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)