Jun 5, 2009, 12:04 PM EDT
* According to the New York Daily News,
J.J. Putz “hurt like hell” yesterday while allowing multiple runs for
the third straight appearance and “appears headed for surgery” to
remove bone spurs from his elbow.
From 2005-2008, Putz had a 2.63 ERA and 287/77 K/BB ratio in 256
innings while averaging 95 miles per hour with his fastball. This
season he has a 5.22 ERA and 19/19 K/BB ratio in 29 innings while
averaging 93.5 mph with his fastball.
* Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times wrote an interesting article
about the history of inside-the-park homers. Some of my favorite
tidbits: Jesse Burkett is the all-time leader with 55, Willie Wilson is
the modern-day leader with 13, Cy Young served up 54 to lead all
pitchers, and all but three of Wee Willie Keeler’s 33 career homers
were of the inside-the-park variety.
* Here’s the latest first-round draft projections from Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com.
* Moneyball isn’t the only Michael Lewis best-seller currently being made into a movie.
* Randy Johnson may have 300 wins now, but even at 6-foot-10 he’s not the tallest pitcher in baseball.
* Fear not, Cubs fans: Milton Bradley will avoid the disabled list and instead spend the next three months being “day-to-day” with a strained calf.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)