Jun 5, 2009, 12:04 PM EST
* According to the New York Daily News,
J.J. Putz “hurt like hell” yesterday while allowing multiple runs for
the third straight appearance and “appears headed for surgery” to
remove bone spurs from his elbow.
From 2005-2008, Putz had a 2.63 ERA and 287/77 K/BB ratio in 256
innings while averaging 95 miles per hour with his fastball. This
season he has a 5.22 ERA and 19/19 K/BB ratio in 29 innings while
averaging 93.5 mph with his fastball.
* Chris Jaffe of The Hardball Times wrote an interesting article
about the history of inside-the-park homers. Some of my favorite
tidbits: Jesse Burkett is the all-time leader with 55, Willie Wilson is
the modern-day leader with 13, Cy Young served up 54 to lead all
pitchers, and all but three of Wee Willie Keeler’s 33 career homers
were of the inside-the-park variety.
* Here’s the latest first-round draft projections from Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com.
* Moneyball isn’t the only Michael Lewis best-seller currently being made into a movie.
* Randy Johnson may have 300 wins now, but even at 6-foot-10 he’s not the tallest pitcher in baseball.
* Fear not, Cubs fans: Milton Bradley will avoid the disabled list and instead spend the next three months being “day-to-day” with a strained calf.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)