Jun 5, 2009, 4:37 PM EST
- Zack Greinke, coming off his worst start of the year, will try to
join Roy Halladay at nine wins when he takes on the Blue Jays tonight.
Greinke allowed four runs — three earned — over seven innings in a
loss to the White Sox last time out. He faced the Jays back on April 29
and won that one, despite giving up his first two earned runs of the
season. The Jays will go to Ricky Romero, who has given up 10 runs in 9
1/3 innings since rejoining the Toronto rotation last month. One more
bad outing could result in a demotion back to Triple-A, as the Jays
aren’t known for their patience.
- Tonight’s game in Cincinnati matches up the game’s top two
power-hitting pitchers. Carlos Zambrano has hit 13 homers in 260
at-bats since the beginning of 2006, while Micah Owings has six homers
in 146 career at-bats. Owings, at .315/.344/.555, possesses the far
better career line of the two.
- Weather permitting, lefties David Price and CC Sabathia will
engage in the first on what will hopefully be a long series of duels
over the next several years. Price did pitch once against the Yankees
last year, throwing 5 2/3 innings of two-run ball in relief after
starter Edwin Jackson was lit up. Sabathia has won four in a row and is
5-3 with a 3.46 ERA this season. He’s 7-1 with a 2.44 ERA lifetime
against Tampa Bay.
- Bobby Abreu is two hits away from reaching 2,000, but he could
have a difficult time getting those against Detroit’s Justin Verlander
tonight. Verlander has had three starts this season in which he’s given
up a total of two hits.
- Todd Helton’s next homer will move him past George Brett into a
tie for 100th place on the all-time list. He’s at 317 right now.
Game of the Night
Milwaukee vs. Atlanta – Two of the NL’s top young starters, Yovani
Gallardo and Jair Jurrjens, will face off in Atlanta. Gallardo and
Jurrjens were both within a month of each other in 1986, and both are
sporting identical 5-2 records at the moment. Both have allowed three
runs or fewer in all but two of their starts. Tonight’s game will also
make Nate McLouth’s debut as a Brave. He was set to start in center
field and bat third before Thursday’s game was postponed due to rain.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)