Jun 7, 2009, 7:27 PM EDT
With the Phillies and Dodgers less than an hour away from first pitch, here are a few things to consider.
On the bump:
– Antonio Bastardo (1-0, 1.50) gets the start for the Phillies. In his
major league debut against the Padres on Tuesday, Bastardo tossed six
innings of one-run ball, fanning five and walking one. The only run
scored via an Adrian Gonzalez home run. The southpaw went 3-2 with a
1.89 ERA in 11 minor league starts this season.
– Randy Wolf (3-1, 3.21) toes the rubber for the Dodgers. He’s
coming off a rough start against the Diamondbacks on Tuesday, when he
yielded a season-high five runs over six innings, but was handed a
no-decision. He hasn’t lost a decision since his season-debut on April
7 against the Padres. The ex-Phillie has allowed two runs or less in
five of his last seven starts.
Going for 40:
– The Dodgers have steamrolled their way through the first half of
the season. With a 39-19 record (.672 winning percentage) the next
closest teams to their win total are the Brewers, Red Sox, Yankees and
Rangers who are tied with 33.
In the clutch:
– Andre Ethier has ended each of the last two games in walk-off
fashion, first with a game-winning RBI double off Brad Lidge on Friday
and then a 12th inning solo home run that broke a 2-2 tie on Saturday.
Ethier was slumping for the better part of a month, but has hits in 10
of his last 11 games.
– The Phillies are 20-8 on the road this season, the best record in baseball. They are currently 4-2 on their 10-game roadtrip.
– Jonathan Broxton has fanned 30 over 17 2/3 scoreless innings at
Dodger Stadium this season. Opponents are batting just .070 (4-for-57)
off him there.
– Juan Pierre is batting .455 (20-for-44) against left-handers this season.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)