Jun 9, 2009, 2:32 PM EDT
With the Nationals just hours away from making Stephen Strasburg the
latest No. 1 pick, one of the biggest top-of-the-draft busts of all
time is pleading guilty today to four misdemeanor counts of battery.
Matt Bush went No. 1 overall in the 2004 draft because the Padres were
trying to save money, so they selected the local high-school star while
passing on the likes of Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, and Stephen
Drew. Bush was a disaster from Day 1, getting into a bar fight before
even making his pro debut and then hitting .192 at rookie-ball.
He moved up to Single-A in 2005 and hit .221/.279/.276, missed most
of 2006 with a broken ankle, hit .204/.310/.276 at Single-A in 2007,
and was then converted from shortstop to pitcher as the Padres tried to
salvage some value from the blown pick. It didn’t work, as a torn elbow
ligament put a quick end to his time on the mound.
Bush’s guilty plea today stems from what the San Diego Union-Tribune
calls a “drunken assault” on lacrosse players at his old high school,
which caused the Padres to drop him from the 40-man roster in February
to make room for Cliff Floyd. Toronto picked up Bush only to release
him six weeks later for another drunken incident involving the alleged
harassment of a woman.
And now he’s a 23-year-old with an impotent bat and blown-out elbow
facing “at least three years of probation” and a court-mandated stint
in alcohol rehab. But hey, at least the Padres saved about $900,000 in
bonus money! San Diego picks No. 3 overall tonight and will try to avoid a Bush-like disaster with Strasburg and the consensus top hitter, Dustin Ackley, likely off the board.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)