Jun 9, 2009, 2:32 PM EDT
With the Nationals just hours away from making Stephen Strasburg the
latest No. 1 pick, one of the biggest top-of-the-draft busts of all
time is pleading guilty today to four misdemeanor counts of battery.
Matt Bush went No. 1 overall in the 2004 draft because the Padres were
trying to save money, so they selected the local high-school star while
passing on the likes of Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, and Stephen
Drew. Bush was a disaster from Day 1, getting into a bar fight before
even making his pro debut and then hitting .192 at rookie-ball.
He moved up to Single-A in 2005 and hit .221/.279/.276, missed most
of 2006 with a broken ankle, hit .204/.310/.276 at Single-A in 2007,
and was then converted from shortstop to pitcher as the Padres tried to
salvage some value from the blown pick. It didn’t work, as a torn elbow
ligament put a quick end to his time on the mound.
Bush’s guilty plea today stems from what the San Diego Union-Tribune
calls a “drunken assault” on lacrosse players at his old high school,
which caused the Padres to drop him from the 40-man roster in February
to make room for Cliff Floyd. Toronto picked up Bush only to release
him six weeks later for another drunken incident involving the alleged
harassment of a woman.
And now he’s a 23-year-old with an impotent bat and blown-out elbow
facing “at least three years of probation” and a court-mandated stint
in alcohol rehab. But hey, at least the Padres saved about $900,000 in
bonus money! San Diego picks No. 3 overall tonight and will try to avoid a Bush-like disaster with Strasburg and the consensus top hitter, Dustin Ackley, likely off the board.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)