Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Bobby Cox won his 2,000th game as Braves manager
last night, becoming just the fourth manager in baseball history to
reach 2,000 wins with one team. Connie Mack of the A’s, John McGraw of
the Giants, and Walter Alston of the Dodgers are the other three.
Cox has 2,355 wins overall, as he managed the Blue Jays from
1982-1985 and won Manager of the Year honors in his final season with
Toronto. He’s had a winning record in 20 of his 27 seasons as manager
and perhaps most impressively is the all-time leader in manager
ejections with 143.
* Your daily A-Rod and K-Hud update: According to the New York Post,
Alex Rodriguez and Kate Hudson attended Jose Molina’s bachelor party
Sunday night along with CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, and Carl Crawford.
* Speaking of Rivera, he’s officially been named judge of the Yankees’ kangaroo court after being presented with a robe and gavel yesterday.
* Released by the Mets during spring training, Freddy Garcia has signed a minor-league deal with the White Sox.
Garcia is friends with manager Ozzie Guillen and pitched for Chicago
from 2004-2006, winning the clinching game of the World Series in 2005.
* Longtime scout Mike Berger has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ new farm director after A.J. Hinch moved from that role to manager last month. Arizona picks back-to-back at 16th and 17th in tonight’s draft.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)