Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Bobby Cox won his 2,000th game as Braves manager
last night, becoming just the fourth manager in baseball history to
reach 2,000 wins with one team. Connie Mack of the A’s, John McGraw of
the Giants, and Walter Alston of the Dodgers are the other three.
Cox has 2,355 wins overall, as he managed the Blue Jays from
1982-1985 and won Manager of the Year honors in his final season with
Toronto. He’s had a winning record in 20 of his 27 seasons as manager
and perhaps most impressively is the all-time leader in manager
ejections with 143.
* Your daily A-Rod and K-Hud update: According to the New York Post,
Alex Rodriguez and Kate Hudson attended Jose Molina’s bachelor party
Sunday night along with CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, and Carl Crawford.
* Speaking of Rivera, he’s officially been named judge of the Yankees’ kangaroo court after being presented with a robe and gavel yesterday.
* Released by the Mets during spring training, Freddy Garcia has signed a minor-league deal with the White Sox.
Garcia is friends with manager Ozzie Guillen and pitched for Chicago
from 2004-2006, winning the clinching game of the World Series in 2005.
* Longtime scout Mike Berger has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ new farm director after A.J. Hinch moved from that role to manager last month. Arizona picks back-to-back at 16th and 17th in tonight’s draft.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)