Jun 9, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Bobby Cox won his 2,000th game as Braves manager
last night, becoming just the fourth manager in baseball history to
reach 2,000 wins with one team. Connie Mack of the A’s, John McGraw of
the Giants, and Walter Alston of the Dodgers are the other three.
Cox has 2,355 wins overall, as he managed the Blue Jays from
1982-1985 and won Manager of the Year honors in his final season with
Toronto. He’s had a winning record in 20 of his 27 seasons as manager
and perhaps most impressively is the all-time leader in manager
ejections with 143.
* Your daily A-Rod and K-Hud update: According to the New York Post,
Alex Rodriguez and Kate Hudson attended Jose Molina’s bachelor party
Sunday night along with CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, and Carl Crawford.
* Speaking of Rivera, he’s officially been named judge of the Yankees’ kangaroo court after being presented with a robe and gavel yesterday.
* Released by the Mets during spring training, Freddy Garcia has signed a minor-league deal with the White Sox.
Garcia is friends with manager Ozzie Guillen and pitched for Chicago
from 2004-2006, winning the clinching game of the World Series in 2005.
* Longtime scout Mike Berger has been hired as the Diamondbacks’ new farm director after A.J. Hinch moved from that role to manager last month. Arizona picks back-to-back at 16th and 17th in tonight’s draft.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)