Jun 10, 2009, 4:38 PM EST
– Detroit’s Justin Verlander, arguably baseball’s hottest pitcher,
takes on his nemesis tonight in the fourth game of a five-game series
with the White Sox. Verlander has won six in a row since April 27,
posting a 1.12 ERA during that span, but he’s 2-9 with a 5.90 ERA
lifetime against the Pale Hose. That’s a full quarter of his 36 career
losses coming against one team. The struggling John Danks will get the
ball for the White Sox.
- I’m rooting for Lance Berkman to drive in five runs with a pair of
doubles tonight, setting things up perfectly for Thursday. He’s
currently sitting at 299 homers, 994 RBI, 1,497 hits and 4,993 at-bats.
- It figured that the Pirates would want to Charlie Morton a look
soon after acquiring him in the Nate McLouth deal, but to have him
pitch against his former team just a week following the deal certainly
wasn’t the ideal scenario. He’s taking Jeff Karstens’ place against the
Braves tonight after Karstens was needed in Monday’s 15-inning game.
Game of the Night
N.Y. Yankees vs. Boston – Chien-Ming Wang wasn’t exactly eased back
into the Yankee rotation: after facing the Rangers in his first start
since coming off the disabled list, he gets to pitch in Fenway tonight.
Wang is 6-5 with a 4.82 ERA lifetime against the Red Sox. Boston will
go to Tim Wakefield, who didn’t pitch in either of the first two series
against the Bombers this year. The knuckleballer went 1-1 with a 4.98
ERA in four starts against the Yankees in 2008 and is 10-17 with a 5.03
ERA lifetime against the team. Alex Rodriguez has hit .276 with seven
homers in 76 at-bats against him. The Red Sox will hope for another
strong night from David Ortiz, who has hit .444 with two homers in 36
at-bats versus Wang.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 105
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)