Jun 11, 2009, 3:41 PM EST
* Here’s the scouting report on recent call-up Barbaro Canizares that an unnamed Braves player gave to Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I heard he can’t run, can’t throw, and can’t field, but the sum@!$%#
can hit.” I’m not sure about the running, throwing, and fielding part,
but the 29-year-old Canizares hit .344 in 58 games at Triple-A and
carries a .318 career batting average.
* White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said yesterday that he’s not ready to blow up the 27-33 team yet, but Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times speculates that veterans like Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel, and perhaps even Bobby Jenks “could be elsewhere before the trade deadline.”
Jake Fox went 5-for-12 with two doubles for the Cubs after hitting .424
with 17 homers and 51 RBIs in 41 games at Triple-A, but still couldn’t
avoid a trip back to Iowa.
* Is the Angels’ middle infield at Triple-A better than the big-league version?
* David Ortiz’s modest hot streak may be put on hold because of interleague play.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 27
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)