Jun 11, 2009, 3:41 PM EDT
* Here’s the scouting report on recent call-up Barbaro Canizares that an unnamed Braves player gave to Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I heard he can’t run, can’t throw, and can’t field, but the sum@!$%#
can hit.” I’m not sure about the running, throwing, and fielding part,
but the 29-year-old Canizares hit .344 in 58 games at Triple-A and
carries a .318 career batting average.
* White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said yesterday that he’s not ready to blow up the 27-33 team yet, but Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times speculates that veterans like Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel, and perhaps even Bobby Jenks “could be elsewhere before the trade deadline.”
Jake Fox went 5-for-12 with two doubles for the Cubs after hitting .424
with 17 homers and 51 RBIs in 41 games at Triple-A, but still couldn’t
avoid a trip back to Iowa.
* Is the Angels’ middle infield at Triple-A better than the big-league version?
* David Ortiz’s modest hot streak may be put on hold because of interleague play.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)