Jun 11, 2009, 3:41 PM EDT
* Here’s the scouting report on recent call-up Barbaro Canizares that an unnamed Braves player gave to Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I heard he can’t run, can’t throw, and can’t field, but the sum@!$%#
can hit.” I’m not sure about the running, throwing, and fielding part,
but the 29-year-old Canizares hit .344 in 58 games at Triple-A and
carries a .318 career batting average.
* White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said yesterday that he’s not ready to blow up the 27-33 team yet, but Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times speculates that veterans like Jermaine Dye, Octavio Dotel, and perhaps even Bobby Jenks “could be elsewhere before the trade deadline.”
Jake Fox went 5-for-12 with two doubles for the Cubs after hitting .424
with 17 homers and 51 RBIs in 41 games at Triple-A, but still couldn’t
avoid a trip back to Iowa.
* Is the Angels’ middle infield at Triple-A better than the big-league version?
* David Ortiz’s modest hot streak may be put on hold because of interleague play.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)