Jun 11, 2009, 2:40 PM EDT
Denard Span is away from the team to have his recent dizziness examined
and Carlos Gomez is in manager Ron Gardenhire’s doghouse, so the Twins
are trotting out perhaps the worst defensive outfield that I’ve ever
seen for this afternoon’s game against the A’s.
Michael Cuddyer is making his second career start in center field
after spending the past four seasons displaying below-average range in
right field. Jason Kubel is replacing Cuddyer in right field after
spending most of the past three seasons at designated hitter because of
his bad range and worse knees. And Delmon Young is in left field, where
he’s posted the worst Ultimate Zone Rating in baseball since the
beginning of last year.
If there’s been a worse defensive starting outfield during this
decade that didn’t involve someone literally dying on the field, I’d
love to hear about it. In the meantime, I’ll be saying a prayer for
Twins starter Nick Blackburn.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)