Jun 11, 2009, 4:43 PM EDT
– The Red Sox selected
outfielder Michael Yastrzemski, Carl’s grandson, in the 36th round. The
youngest Yaz is expected to ask for first-round money to back out of a
commitment to play at Vanderbilt, but the Red Sox likely have a better
chance of signing him than anyone else would have.
- Catcher Austin Maddox, the lone Baseball America top-100 player
still on the board entering day three, finally went to the Rays in the
37th round. He has a scholarship at Florida awaiting him.
– Muhammed Ali’s adopted son, Asaad, was picked in the 40th round by the Angels. Ali is an 18-year-old catcher out of Michigan.
– The White Sox took the sons of GM Ken Williams and coach Harold Baines in the 43rd and 45th rounds, respectively.
– The Cubs grabbed Reds GM Walt Jocketty’s son, Joey, in the 47th round.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)