Jun 11, 2009, 4:43 PM EDT
- The Red Sox selected
outfielder Michael Yastrzemski, Carl’s grandson, in the 36th round. The
youngest Yaz is expected to ask for first-round money to back out of a
commitment to play at Vanderbilt, but the Red Sox likely have a better
chance of signing him than anyone else would have.
- Catcher Austin Maddox, the lone Baseball America top-100 player
still on the board entering day three, finally went to the Rays in the
37th round. He has a scholarship at Florida awaiting him.
- Muhammed Ali’s adopted son, Asaad, was picked in the 40th round by the Angels. Ali is an 18-year-old catcher out of Michigan.
- The White Sox took the sons of GM Ken Williams and coach Harold Baines in the 43rd and 45th rounds, respectively.
- The Cubs grabbed Reds GM Walt Jocketty’s son, Joey, in the 47th round.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 0
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 7
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 58
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)