Jun 12, 2009, 5:07 PM EDT
As if things weren’t already going badly enough, Milton Bradley misplaced his brain on the way to the ballpark Friday.
– In the sixth inning, with Bradley on second and Mike Fontenot on
third, Derrek Lee hit a routine grounder to third. The Twins were
conceding the run, but Bradley took off for third on the play and ran
right into the out.
– In the seventh inning, Bradley lost a flyball in the sun in right, helping the Twins scored a run.
- In the eighth, he caught Joe Mauer’s routine flyball into right,
stood there and stared at nothing for three seconds and then
underhanded the ball into the bleachers. After the second out of the
The third blunder had no effect on the scoreboard, as Bradley
wouldn’t have thrown out Nick Punto on the sac fly anyway. It did allow
Brendan Harris to advance from first base, but Justin Morneau went on
to fly out to end the inning. Also, he likely was a net asset on the
day anyway, since he had a two-run double in the sixth that gave him
just his third multi-RBI game of the season.
Bradley, though, deserves the scorn of Cubs fans for his performance
so far. He still has time to make up for it and turn these first 10
weeks into nothing more than a bad memory, but first, he needs to get
his head into the game.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)