Jun 12, 2009, 5:07 PM EDT
As if things weren’t already going badly enough, Milton Bradley misplaced his brain on the way to the ballpark Friday.
– In the sixth inning, with Bradley on second and Mike Fontenot on
third, Derrek Lee hit a routine grounder to third. The Twins were
conceding the run, but Bradley took off for third on the play and ran
right into the out.
– In the seventh inning, Bradley lost a flyball in the sun in right, helping the Twins scored a run.
– In the eighth, he caught Joe Mauer’s routine flyball into right,
stood there and stared at nothing for three seconds and then
underhanded the ball into the bleachers. After the second out of the
The third blunder had no effect on the scoreboard, as Bradley
wouldn’t have thrown out Nick Punto on the sac fly anyway. It did allow
Brendan Harris to advance from first base, but Justin Morneau went on
to fly out to end the inning. Also, he likely was a net asset on the
day anyway, since he had a two-run double in the sixth that gave him
just his third multi-RBI game of the season.
Bradley, though, deserves the scorn of Cubs fans for his performance
so far. He still has time to make up for it and turn these first 10
weeks into nothing more than a bad memory, but first, he needs to get
his head into the game.
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 8
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 89
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)