Jun 12, 2009, 12:53 PM EDT
* From the “hey, it’s Friday and this amused me for some reason” department, the Boston Herald reports
that A.J. Burnett was thrown out of a Boston-area Barnes & Noble
the morning after his poor start against the Red Sox “for swearing on
his cell phone.”
A source told the newspaper that “he was swearing and stuff and the
security guard went over and told him to quiet down because there were
kids around.” And then when Burnett declined that request, the
“elderly” security guard on duty “told him to hit the road.”
* Bobby Valentine was told by the Chiba Lotte Marines that his contract will not be renewed, so 100,000 fans signed a petition to keep him as manager.
* Not since Rich Garces has someone looked this good throwing a baseball.
* Try as they might, Washington Post writers can’t escape Lastings Milledge and the Nationals.
* Jonathan Papelbon has been fined $1,000 for “violating pace-of-game guidelines” when entering games.
* Rob Dibble apparently isn’t a big fan of Rob Neyer or Keith Law. I’m sure they’re equally crushed.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)