Jun 13, 2009, 1:53 PM EDT
“I have to catch that ball. The ball
was moving a little bit. I didn’t get it. I feel bad. It was a routine
fly ball. … I need to get it. … I feel so bad. I don’t want to make
any errors, so I feel bad about myself. I made a mistake — I feel bad.”
- Luis Castillo, at a loss to explain the epic drop that allowed the Yankees to win Friday night’s game.
“I just closed my eyes and swung.”
- Rick Porcello, on becoming the first Tigers’ pitcher to have a multi-RBI game
since Joe Coleman in 1972. He was 2-for-3 at the dish. The 2o-year-old
Porcello wasn’t that bad on the mound either, allowing just a single
run over seven innings to improve to 7-4 on the season.
“We’re trying to win ball games up
here. If they need to make a move to help the team out, I’m all for
that. Going to Triple-A is never news you want to hear but I’m going to
go down there and try to find out what I need to do to find myself.”
- Howie Kendrick reacts to his demotion
to Triple-A Salt Lake. The 25-year-old second baseman was hitting just
.231/.281/.355 with four homers and 22 RBI in 186 at-bats this season.
“I wasn’t embarrassed. I’ve done a
whole lot of things to be embarrassed about. That’s water under the
bridge. The run was going to score, the fan got a souvenir. Worst case
- Milton Bradley, after committing the Cardinal sin of throwing the ball into the stands with just two outs. By the way, this might be the most accurate thing Bradley has ever said.
“The difference in this game, with
these young pitchers we have, I don’t even know if they watch baseball,
to be honest with you.”
- Jason Giambi, commenting on the excellent pitchers duel
between Tim Lincecum and Athletics’ rookie Vin Mazzaro on Friday night.
Lincecum got the better of him on Friday, hurling a complete-game
shutout, but Mazzaro has a 1.37 over his first three big league starts.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires