Jun 13, 2009, 1:53 PM EDT
“I have to catch that ball. The ball
was moving a little bit. I didn’t get it. I feel bad. It was a routine
fly ball. … I need to get it. … I feel so bad. I don’t want to make
any errors, so I feel bad about myself. I made a mistake — I feel bad.”
- Luis Castillo, at a loss to explain the epic drop that allowed the Yankees to win Friday night’s game.
“I just closed my eyes and swung.”
- Rick Porcello, on becoming the first Tigers’ pitcher to have a multi-RBI game
since Joe Coleman in 1972. He was 2-for-3 at the dish. The 2o-year-old
Porcello wasn’t that bad on the mound either, allowing just a single
run over seven innings to improve to 7-4 on the season.
“We’re trying to win ball games up
here. If they need to make a move to help the team out, I’m all for
that. Going to Triple-A is never news you want to hear but I’m going to
go down there and try to find out what I need to do to find myself.”
- Howie Kendrick reacts to his demotion
to Triple-A Salt Lake. The 25-year-old second baseman was hitting just
.231/.281/.355 with four homers and 22 RBI in 186 at-bats this season.
“I wasn’t embarrassed. I’ve done a
whole lot of things to be embarrassed about. That’s water under the
bridge. The run was going to score, the fan got a souvenir. Worst case
- Milton Bradley, after committing the Cardinal sin of throwing the ball into the stands with just two outs. By the way, this might be the most accurate thing Bradley has ever said.
“The difference in this game, with
these young pitchers we have, I don’t even know if they watch baseball,
to be honest with you.”
- Jason Giambi, commenting on the excellent pitchers duel
between Tim Lincecum and Athletics’ rookie Vin Mazzaro on Friday night.
Lincecum got the better of him on Friday, hurling a complete-game
shutout, but Mazzaro has a 1.37 over his first three big league starts.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 228
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (228)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (103)