Jun 14, 2009, 6:42 PM EDT
– Hanley Ramirez wasn’t too happy that the Marlins didn’t retaliate after he was hit by a pitch during a 11-3 laugher over the Blue Jays on Sunday.
– Johan Santana was torched for a career-high nine runs
over three innings in part of a 15-0 loss to the Yankees on Sunday
afternoon. His ERA jumped nearly a full run, from 2.39 to 3.29, in the
— On the strength of a six-run seventh inning, the Phillies took the Sunday finale from the Red Sox.
– Unhappy with a .246 team batting average, good enough for 13th in the league, the Cubs did the old empty gesture by firing hitting coach Gerald Perry on Sunday.
– Eric Chavez will undergo a second surgery on his back that will cost him the rest of the season.
– Corey Hart slugged a pair of solo homers in a 5-4 loss to the White Sox on Sunday. Trevor Hoffman gave up his first run of the season in the ninth inning, taking the loss.
– Bothered by right shoulder tendinitis, Frank Francisco was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday.
– And finally, the Red Sox have fielded multiple calls
for Brad Penny. Because he signed as a free agent, the 31-year-old is
not eligible to be traded until June 15. Penny is 5-2 with a 5.32 ERA
in 12 starts this season.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)