Jun 14, 2009, 6:42 PM EST
– Hanley Ramirez wasn’t too happy that the Marlins didn’t retaliate after he was hit by a pitch during a 11-3 laugher over the Blue Jays on Sunday.
– Johan Santana was torched for a career-high nine runs
over three innings in part of a 15-0 loss to the Yankees on Sunday
afternoon. His ERA jumped nearly a full run, from 2.39 to 3.29, in the
— On the strength of a six-run seventh inning, the Phillies took the Sunday finale from the Red Sox.
– Unhappy with a .246 team batting average, good enough for 13th in the league, the Cubs did the old empty gesture by firing hitting coach Gerald Perry on Sunday.
– Eric Chavez will undergo a second surgery on his back that will cost him the rest of the season.
– Corey Hart slugged a pair of solo homers in a 5-4 loss to the White Sox on Sunday. Trevor Hoffman gave up his first run of the season in the ninth inning, taking the loss.
– Bothered by right shoulder tendinitis, Frank Francisco was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday.
– And finally, the Red Sox have fielded multiple calls
for Brad Penny. Because he signed as a free agent, the 31-year-old is
not eligible to be traded until June 15. Penny is 5-2 with a 5.32 ERA
in 12 starts this season.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)