Jun 15, 2009, 2:26 PM EDT
Johan Santana tied a career-high by serving up four homers to the
Phillies last week and turned in the worst start of his career against
the Yankees yesterday, allowing nine runs while failing to make it out
of the fourth inning.
After watching Santana get clobbered for the second straight start, pitching coach Dan Warthen suggested that a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand may be to blame by changing the grip on his fastball:
He’s fought through it for almost a month, but now that it’s healed,
the ball plane has changed. It’s going to decrease the velocity if it’s
cutting like it is. The two-seamer is cutting at times also.
Physically, he’s in good shape. And the arm feels good. We just have to
find out what the delivery issue is right now.
Santana dealt with blisters and cracked finger nails at various times
in Minnesota, but insisted yesterday that the latest issue is not a big
deal. His velocity is indeed down, but only slightly, as his fastball
averaged 90.1 miles per hour during the past two starts compared to
90.9 mph for the season overall.
Of course, 90.9 mph is the worst fastball speed of his career and
his average velocity has dropped from 93.1 to 91.7 to 91.2 to 90.9
since his Cy Young-winning 2006 campaign. All eyes will be on Santana
when he takes the mound next against the Rays this weekend, but in the
meantime I’ll pass along a bit of encouraging history for Mets fans.
The last time that Santana allowed five or more runs in back-to-back
starts was in July of 2003, which was his first month as a full-time
member of the Twins’ rotation. He shook off those struggles to go 8-0
with a 2.51 ERA in 11 starts to finish the season. As the world’s biggest Santana fan I’m hoping that history repeats itself.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)