Jun 15, 2009, 9:42 AM EDT
While everyone wonders what the Yankees will do with Wang and the
Tigers with Willis, I’m far more interested in seeing what the Red Sox
are going to do with their problem starter, Daisuke Matsuzaka. In case
you missed it, Dice-K had yet another rough go of it on Saturday,
giving up four runs on seven hits in four innings following a rain
delay. Dice-K refused to go all Milli Vanilli with it
(“I can’t blame the rain or the delay for anything. I don’t want to
blame it on the rain”), but you have to figure that was at least
something of a factor. Still, he has given up ten runs in 14.2 innings
in June, appears to be laboring. Well, he always appears to be laboring; just more so recently.
John Smoltz is scheduled to start on Thursday,
though no one knows if it will be for Pawtucket or Boston. Here’s a
suggestion: give the old guy an extra day’s rest and let him take
Matsusaka’s turn on Friday. This accomplishes a couple of things.
First, it gives Dice-K a little break. Second, it will ensure that the
old and recently-injured Smoltz is good and fresh for his return to the
Oh, and given who the Sox play on Friday, it would make for a wonderful little storyline as well.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona