Jun 15, 2009, 3:28 PM EDT
* Milwaukee dumping Manny Parra from the rotation
yesterday was a long time coming. Not only has he been awful recently,
going 0-4 with a 13.50 ERA over his last five starts, Parra is 5-14
with a 6.41 ERA since last season’s All-Star break. Prior to that he
was 8-2 with a 3.78 ERA, so the collapse has been pretty shocking.
* On the other hand, Jose Contreras has thrown 16 straight scoreless innings since returning from Triple-A after starting the season 0-5 with an 8.19 ERA.
* Much like with Brandon Wood, it sounds as though manager Mike Scioscia has no plans
to make call-up Sean Rodriguez a regular in the Angels’ lineup.
Rodriguez has hit .290/.377/.637 with 42 homers over 124 games in the
admittedly hitter-friendly environment at Triple-A, whereas Maicer
Izturis is a career .273/.338/.377 hitter in the majors.
* Rodriguez was called up because the Angels sent Howie Kendrick
back to Triple-A after he hit just .231 through 51 games this year.
Kendrick came into the season as a career .306 hitter in 252 games
through the age of 24. Here’s a list
of all the second basemen in baseball history who hit for a higher
batting average than Kendrick through the age of 24: Eddie Collins,
Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Rod Carew.
* Eric Chavez’s season is over and his career is seemingly in serious jeopardy following news that he needs a second back surgery to go along with his three shoulder operations. As manager Bob Geren put it: “This is his best chance to play again.”
* Joe Morgan’s mind is playing tricks on him.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)