Jun 16, 2009, 3:32 PM EST
* Now that Jason Bay is starring on a contending team in a big market the baseball world seems to have discovered him,
but that has as much to do with no one paying any attention to the
Pirates as it does his actual performance with the Red Sox. Seriously.
Bay has hit .290/.389/.564 in 111 games with Boston, which while
very good is also very close to the .296/.399/.546 line that he posted
with Pittsburgh between 2005 and 2006. Take out his injury-plagued 2007
season and Bay posted a .932 OPS in Pittsburgh. He has a .953 OPS in
* Within his latest outstanding blog entry,
Joe Posnanski passes along this amusing tidbit: “Carlos Zambrano has
hit 14 home runs in his last 282 at-bats. David Ortiz has hit 10 home
runs in his last 348 at-bats.” Sure, but how many homers has Ortiz allowed during that time?
* Despite facing a year-long recovery after the second Tommy John elbow surgery of his career, Jason Isringhausen is not ready to call it quits.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)