Jun 16, 2009, 1:26 PM EDT
An unnamed scout, on Delmon Young:
I’ll tell you what. This kid’s hitting instincts are nowhere near
what we all thought he’d be. He’s so undisciplined, it’s unbelievable.
He’s still got speed. He’s still got a good arm. He still has skills.
He’s just not a real good hitter.
Based on the above quote and Patrick Reusse’s recent column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune it looks like people are finally starting to think beyond their five-year-old copies of Baseball America when evaluating Young’s potential.
And all it took was 1,591 plate appearances of undisciplined, powerless, .288/.322/.401 hitting to get the point across.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)