Jun 16, 2009, 1:26 PM EDT
An unnamed scout, on Delmon Young:
I’ll tell you what. This kid’s hitting instincts are nowhere near
what we all thought he’d be. He’s so undisciplined, it’s unbelievable.
He’s still got speed. He’s still got a good arm. He still has skills.
He’s just not a real good hitter.
Based on the above quote and Patrick Reusse’s recent column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune it looks like people are finally starting to think beyond their five-year-old copies of Baseball America when evaluating Young’s potential.
And all it took was 1,591 plate appearances of undisciplined, powerless, .288/.322/.401 hitting to get the point across.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)