Jun 16, 2009, 1:26 PM EST
An unnamed scout, on Delmon Young:
I’ll tell you what. This kid’s hitting instincts are nowhere near
what we all thought he’d be. He’s so undisciplined, it’s unbelievable.
He’s still got speed. He’s still got a good arm. He still has skills.
He’s just not a real good hitter.
Based on the above quote and Patrick Reusse’s recent column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune it looks like people are finally starting to think beyond their five-year-old copies of Baseball America when evaluating Young’s potential.
And all it took was 1,591 plate appearances of undisciplined, powerless, .288/.322/.401 hitting to get the point across.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)