Jun 16, 2009, 5:32 PM EDT
The New York Times is reporting
that Sammy Sosa is one of the 104 players on the list of those who
tested positive for performance-enhancing substances in 2003.
Sosa joins Alex Rodriguez as the only players to have their names
leaked from the list. According to the Times, the lawyers who had
knowledge of Sosa’s inclusion on the 2003 list did not know the
substance for which he tested positive.
Sosa has long been linked to steroids without their being any actual
evidence fingering him. Besides the obvious increase of power as his
career went along, he also had a corked bat incident working against him. Plus, he didn’t want to pee in a cup for Rick Reilly.
Sosa has repeatedly denied using steroids. He did so in front of the
House Government Reform Committee in March 2005, when he joined Mark
McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro and others in speaking on baseball’s PED
problem. “To be clear,” he said, “I have never taken illegal
performance-enhancing drugs. I have never injected myself or had anyone
inject me with anything.”
The timing of the leak is interesting, given Sosa’s recent comments
on waiting to be elected to the Hall of Fame. ESPNDeportes reported
early in the month that Sosa, who last played with the Rangers in 2007,
would soon officially announce his retirement from baseball.
- Today is the Sox’ annual Patriot’s Day game. It’s more significant now than ever. 10
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 51
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 71
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 10
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 178
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (178)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (113)