Jun 16, 2009, 12:29 PM EDT
During a radio interview this morning John Smoltz said
that he expects to make his Red Sox debut on either Tuesday or
Wednesday of next week “if everything goes the way it continues to go.”
arrival in Boston has been pushed back slightly, so he’ll make one
additional minor-league rehab start than initially expected after
allowing four runs in six innings last week at Triple-A.
of whether his first start comes Tuesday or Wednesday it would be
against the Nationals, but interestingly starting Tuesday would line
him up to face the Braves in his second outing. If you’re into drama,
that’s the scenario to root for.
As of now Brad Penny is lined up
to pitch Tuesday, with Jon Lester slated for Wednesday, but there’s
been tons of speculation about Penny being traded to clear a spot for
Smoltz. Normally it would be a mistake to give up an asset like Penny
to make room for a pitcher who a) may not be a significant upgrade, and
b) comes with plenty of injury risk.
However, as Bob discussed this morning
Boston would still have plenty of rotation depth even if Penny is
traded and Smoltz’s comeback hits a snag. In fact, the Red Sox’s
overall pitching depth is so plentiful that Ken Rosenthal of
FOXSports.com reports that they’ve been shopping setup man Takashi Saito in the hopes of swapping him for a prospect.
has a 4.10 ERA and 38/9 K/BB ratio in eight starts since a poor April
and Saito has a 2.42 ERA with a 22/7 K/BB ratio in 22.1 innings
overall, which tells you how stacked the Red Sox are with quality arms.
Boston’s bullpen leads baseball with a 3.01 ERA and for now at least
MLB-ready top prospects Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden rank as the
team’s No. 7 and No. 8 starters.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)