Jun 17, 2009, 2:28 PM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette passes along an interesting trade tidbit:
The Texas Rangers have inquired with the Pirates about trading for
starter Ian Snell, but the Pirates have engaged no team seriously in
such talks, largely because other teams value Snell as a reliever, and
the Pirates will want a starter’s worth in return.
Snell is 1-7 with a 5.25 ERA after going 7-12 with a 5.42 ERA last
season, giving him a 4.78 ERA in 114 career starts, so the Pirates
probably shouldn’t hold their breath waiting for another team to give
them “a starter’s worth in return.” With that said, his track record
suggests that Snell could be a pretty effective reliever.
Focusing on his fastball-slider combo while ditching his changeup
would help Snell given the lack of success that he’s had with his third
pitch over the years and his shaky command would play better out of the
bullpen. Beyond that, he’s allowed a .745 OPS against righties compared
to an .880 OPS against lefties during his career.
If the Pirates don’t want to trade the 27-year-old right-hander,
maybe they should at least listen to what the other teams are saying
about Snell’s ideal role.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)