Jun 17, 2009, 2:28 PM EDT
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette passes along an interesting trade tidbit:
The Texas Rangers have inquired with the Pirates about trading for
starter Ian Snell, but the Pirates have engaged no team seriously in
such talks, largely because other teams value Snell as a reliever, and
the Pirates will want a starter’s worth in return.
Snell is 1-7 with a 5.25 ERA after going 7-12 with a 5.42 ERA last
season, giving him a 4.78 ERA in 114 career starts, so the Pirates
probably shouldn’t hold their breath waiting for another team to give
them “a starter’s worth in return.” With that said, his track record
suggests that Snell could be a pretty effective reliever.
Focusing on his fastball-slider combo while ditching his changeup
would help Snell given the lack of success that he’s had with his third
pitch over the years and his shaky command would play better out of the
bullpen. Beyond that, he’s allowed a .745 OPS against righties compared
to an .880 OPS against lefties during his career.
If the Pirates don’t want to trade the 27-year-old right-hander,
maybe they should at least listen to what the other teams are saying
about Snell’s ideal role.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)