Jun 17, 2009, 2:28 PM EST
Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette passes along an interesting trade tidbit:
The Texas Rangers have inquired with the Pirates about trading for
starter Ian Snell, but the Pirates have engaged no team seriously in
such talks, largely because other teams value Snell as a reliever, and
the Pirates will want a starter’s worth in return.
Snell is 1-7 with a 5.25 ERA after going 7-12 with a 5.42 ERA last
season, giving him a 4.78 ERA in 114 career starts, so the Pirates
probably shouldn’t hold their breath waiting for another team to give
them “a starter’s worth in return.” With that said, his track record
suggests that Snell could be a pretty effective reliever.
Focusing on his fastball-slider combo while ditching his changeup
would help Snell given the lack of success that he’s had with his third
pitch over the years and his shaky command would play better out of the
bullpen. Beyond that, he’s allowed a .745 OPS against righties compared
to an .880 OPS against lefties during his career.
If the Pirates don’t want to trade the 27-year-old right-hander,
maybe they should at least listen to what the other teams are saying
about Snell’s ideal role.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)