Jun 17, 2009, 11:49 PM EDT
- The latest evidence that Trey Hillman is a joke as a major league
manager: Kyle Farnsworth, who had allowed one run in eight weeks,
wasn’t the reliever of choice with the Royals down 6-2 tonight. Nor was
he the reliever of choice with the team down 7-2. No, Hillman waited
until it was 11-2 and then brought in Farnsworth to get some work. It
was his first appearance in six days.
- Chris Young is still hitting below .200 for Arizona, but he walked
three more times tonight, bringing his total of the month to 11 in 54
at-bats. He had eight in 163 at-bats between April and May. He also has
three homers and six steals in June, so I hope no one dropped him in
- Matt Wieters’ first big-league homer
didn’t look like much off the bat, but it was still nice to see him go
the other way for a change. He had been taking most everything to right
field while hitting left-handed.
- B.J. Ryan sure didn’t help his chances of seeing save
opportunities by allowing three of the four batters he faced to reach
in the ninth against the Phillies. Rather than risk the six-run lead,
the Jays opted to replace him with Brandon League, who stranded all
three runners to finish out the 7-1 game. Jason Frasor is probably
going to be the man in Toronto with Scott Downs out.
- Would it really embarrass any Reds regulars if Micah Owings hit,
say, fifth in his starts? They obviously know just how good he is, and
it’s hardly such a disadvantage to be using pinch-hitters in the middle
of the order after Owings departs. Owings, of course, hit his seventh
career homer in his second and final plate appearance tonight. He
delivered a sac bunt in the first one. I’m holding out hope that he was
actually bunting for a hit, but MLB.tv is being a real pain tonight.
Anyone see it?
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)