Jun 17, 2009, 4:48 PM EDT
- Chien-Ming Wang bids to stay in the Yankee rotation when he and 14.34
ERA take the mound against the Nationals. In two starts since replacing
Phil Hughes, Wang has allowed nine runs over 7 1/3 innings, though
that’s actually lowered his ERA. The league is hitting an impossible
.446 off him this year. The Nats will throw ace John Lannan, who is 3-5
with a 3.51 ERA.
- Ivan Rodriguez is set to overtake Carlton Fisk by catching a major
league-record 2,227th game Wednesday against his former team, the
Rangers. Rodriguez will be breaking the record at age 37. Fisk played
until he was 45.
- Three players are going after career RBI No. 1,000. Paul Konerko
and Lance Berkman are both at 998, while David Ortiz stands at 997
after homering Tuesday.
- If the Dodgers can beat the A’s tonight, Joe Torre will pass
Sparky Anderson for fifth on the managerial victory list at 2,195.
That’s probably as high as he’s going to get, as Tony La Russa has 300
wins on him in third and Bobby Cox has 160 more as the fourth-place
Game of the Night
Arizona vs. Kansas City – It’s not exactly a banner night for
matchups, so let’s go with the most intriguing pitchers, even if the
teams behind them are less than stellar. Starting for Arizona will be
Max Scherzer, who has pitched 12 2/3 scoreless innings in his last two
starts. He’s 3-4 with a 3.63 ERA for the year. Zack Greinke will try
again for his elusive ninth victory for the Royals. He’s allowed 11
earned runs in his last three starts, taking his ERA from 0.84 to 1.72.
Still, he pitched well enough to win two of those outings. Both
Scherzer and Greinke are among the 12 starters in baseball currently
striking out at least a batter an inning.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)