Jun 19, 2009, 7:02 PM EDT
– Fernando Martinez was sent back down to Triple-A by the Mets after hitting .194/.286/.274 in 62 at-bats over 18 games.
Once it was determined that Gary Sheffield’s knees were good enough
to allow him to return to left field, it was expected that Martinez
would be sent down, though the thinking was that the Mets would wait
until Angel Pagan was ready to come off the DL. Instead, they’ve called
up Nick Evans to serve as a bench player for now. Martinez didn’t have
any notable hustling issues after getting himself into trouble
initially, and while he never homered in his 62 at-bats, he also didn’t
seem overmatched while striking out just 10 times. In all, his debut
went about as should have been expected.
– The Yankees have chosen to rest Alex Rodriguez for two games following an 0-for-15 slump.
Not sure I agree with this. The Yankees just ended another
homestand, and getting A-Rod out of new Yankee Stadium should help his
hitting woes. It seemed like he was trying to hit one over the
extremely inviting walls with every swing lately, and he was just
6-for- 51 in the Bronx this month. While eight of his nine homers have
come at Yankee Stadium, he’s had a better approach on the road, hitting
.254/.389/.373 in 59 at-bats to date. At home, he’s hit .178/.355/.534.
– Reds prospect Yonder Alonso, the seventh overall pick in the 2008
draft, was placed on the minor league DL with a broken hamate bone.
Alonso was hitting .246/.309/.377 in 16 games since moving up to
Double-A Carolina. Before that, he was hitting .302/.378/.503 in 169
at-bats for Single-A Sarasota. Alonso should be ready to play again in
4-6 weeks, but players who suffer broken hamate bones tend to suffer
from power outages for months after returning. There wasn’t much chance
that we’d see him in September anyway.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)