Jun 19, 2009, 3:48 PM EST
* Shawn Estes has reportedly
decided to retire after trying unsuccessfully to make it back to the
majors with the Dodgers. Estes finishes with a 101-93 record and 4.71
ERA in 1,678 innings spread over 13 seasons, which qualifies as a
disappointing career after he went 19-5 with 3.18 ERA as a 24-year-old
in 1997. Estes never again posted an ERA under 4.00, going 79-80 with a
4.97 ERA from the age of 25 on.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that “indefinitely” benching Magglio Ordonez
could be the Tigers’ way of not letting him accumulate the plate
appearances necessary to trigger his $15 million option for 2010.
* No. 10 pick Drew Storen was the first 2009 draftee to sign and now he’s the first 2009 draftee to make his pro debut. At this rate he’ll be retired before Stephen Strasburg agrees to a deal.
* When is a six-man rotation not a six-man rotation? When Terry Francona says it isn’t, apparently.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)