Jun 19, 2009, 3:48 PM EDT
* Shawn Estes has reportedly
decided to retire after trying unsuccessfully to make it back to the
majors with the Dodgers. Estes finishes with a 101-93 record and 4.71
ERA in 1,678 innings spread over 13 seasons, which qualifies as a
disappointing career after he went 19-5 with 3.18 ERA as a 24-year-old
in 1997. Estes never again posted an ERA under 4.00, going 79-80 with a
4.97 ERA from the age of 25 on.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that “indefinitely” benching Magglio Ordonez
could be the Tigers’ way of not letting him accumulate the plate
appearances necessary to trigger his $15 million option for 2010.
* No. 10 pick Drew Storen was the first 2009 draftee to sign and now he’s the first 2009 draftee to make his pro debut. At this rate he’ll be retired before Stephen Strasburg agrees to a deal.
* When is a six-man rotation not a six-man rotation? When Terry Francona says it isn’t, apparently.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20