Jun 19, 2009, 3:48 PM EDT
* Shawn Estes has reportedly
decided to retire after trying unsuccessfully to make it back to the
majors with the Dodgers. Estes finishes with a 101-93 record and 4.71
ERA in 1,678 innings spread over 13 seasons, which qualifies as a
disappointing career after he went 19-5 with 3.18 ERA as a 24-year-old
in 1997. Estes never again posted an ERA under 4.00, going 79-80 with a
4.97 ERA from the age of 25 on.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that “indefinitely” benching Magglio Ordonez
could be the Tigers’ way of not letting him accumulate the plate
appearances necessary to trigger his $15 million option for 2010.
* No. 10 pick Drew Storen was the first 2009 draftee to sign and now he’s the first 2009 draftee to make his pro debut. At this rate he’ll be retired before Stephen Strasburg agrees to a deal.
* When is a six-man rotation not a six-man rotation? When Terry Francona says it isn’t, apparently.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)