Jun 19, 2009, 3:48 PM EDT
* Shawn Estes has reportedly
decided to retire after trying unsuccessfully to make it back to the
majors with the Dodgers. Estes finishes with a 101-93 record and 4.71
ERA in 1,678 innings spread over 13 seasons, which qualifies as a
disappointing career after he went 19-5 with 3.18 ERA as a 24-year-old
in 1997. Estes never again posted an ERA under 4.00, going 79-80 with a
4.97 ERA from the age of 25 on.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes that “indefinitely” benching Magglio Ordonez
could be the Tigers’ way of not letting him accumulate the plate
appearances necessary to trigger his $15 million option for 2010.
* No. 10 pick Drew Storen was the first 2009 draftee to sign and now he’s the first 2009 draftee to make his pro debut. At this rate he’ll be retired before Stephen Strasburg agrees to a deal.
* When is a six-man rotation not a six-man rotation? When Terry Francona says it isn’t, apparently.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)