Jun 19, 2009, 10:46 AM EDT
There will probably be generations of Cubs fans who were born, lived, and will die in the time it takes for the Tribune Company to sell the team:
Sam Zell is considering a lineup change.
Tribune Co., led by Zell, is no longer negotiating only with the
Ricketts family on a deal for the Chicago Cubs. Sources confirmed
Thursday that the parent of the Chicago Tribune recently has entered
into separate discussions with a group led by New York investor and
former Chicagoan Marc Utay, whose earlier bid was trumped by the
Rickettses . . . [Tribune spokesman Gary] Weitman said the media
company is “assessing other alternatives” but would neither confirm nor
deny that it is talking again with the Utay group.
The Cubs have been for sale for over two years. While current ownership
hasn’t abandoned the team as such, the failure to find a buyer has
likely caused them to forego all manner of potential competitive moves.
Things like firing the G.M. and taking a risk on a big contract, which
is something the Cubs should otherwise be able to do. Think about it:
did you put the best oil in your car once you decided to sell it? Did
you stain your deck the summer you put your house on the market?
No matter what the ultimate price the sale of the Cubs brings, this
dilly-dallying has cost them dearly. Not so much for what has been done
to the team, but by what has not been done and what deals rejected.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)