Jun 20, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
If I keep going like this, I have no right to be a part of this rotation.”
- Daisuke Matsuzaka states the obvious after another poor outing
against the Braves on Friday night. Dice-K has an 8.23 ERA and 2.20
WHIP through his first eight starts. A decision on his future in the
rotation is expected on Monday.
“I’m probably going to lay low for the rest of this year.”
- The tech-savvy Tom Glavine, who informed MLB.com via text message that he isn’t quite ready to say he’s retired, but will likely not pitch this season. The 43-year old left-hander was released by the Braves earlier this month.
“This guy has been battling for a
long time to get back on the field. So it’s a pretty emotional time for
him to have pain in his shoulder again.”
- Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch on the news that Brandon Webb required an MRI on his ailing right shoulder
on Friday. Word on the 2006 Cy Young award winner’s status is not
expected until next week. He could seek a second opinion, as well,
before opting for surgery.
“It’s a step that we had to take. We needed to do something like this.”
- Manny Acta, still the manager of the Nationals,
after a 2-1 victory in 11 innings over the Blue Jays on Friday night.
The win extended their winning streak to three games, matching a
“We have a responsibility to do our due diligence. I think a lot more is being made of it publicly than really exists.”
- Rays executive vice president Andrew Friedman comments on the club’s interest, or lack thereof,
in free-agent Pedro Martinez. The Rays were among several teams in
attendance when the 37-year-old pitcher threw in the Dominican Republic
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 143
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39