Jun 20, 2009, 1:53 PM EDT
In honor of the U.S. Open out at Bethpage this weekend, let’s look at
the greatest baseball players from Long Island, or Strong Island for
all you meatheads, in Major League history. The position players are here. Now the pitchers:
Frank Viola, Hempstead. 15 seasons with Twins, Mets, Red Sox,
Reds, and Blue Jays … 176-150 W-L, 3.73 ERA, 1.301 WHIP, 1,844 K in
2,836.1 IP … 1988 A.L. Cy Young with Minnesota … 6 seasons with 15+
wins … 1987 World Series Champion & MVP (won Game 1 and Game 7) … 3
All-Star games … All-Star mustache … prompted Mets fans to hang musical
notes for every strikeout … FROM! St. John’s.
Pete Harnisch, Commack. 14 seasons with Orioles, Astros, Mets,
Brewers, and Reds … 111-103 W-L, 3.89 ERA, 1.296 WHIP, 1,368 K in
1,959.0 IP … 1991 All-Star … led N.L. with 4 shutouts in 1993 … 26th
pitcher to strike out the side with only 9 pitches on September 6, 1991
against the Phillies … gave up back-to-back-to-back homers against the
Padres on Opening Day, 1997.
Pete Richert, Floral Park. 13 seasons with Dodgers, Senators,
Orioles, Cardinals, and Phillies … 80-73 W-L, 3.19 ERA, 1.186 WHIP, 51
SV, 925 K in 1,165.2 IP … 3 All-Star games … 1970 World Series Champion
… shares a distinction with John Smoltz for being players who have been
traded for Doyle Alexander.
Jason Marquis, Manhasset. 10 seasons (and counting) with Braves,
Cardinals, Cubs, and Rockies … 88-74 W-L, 4.49 ERA, 1.419 WHIP, 796 K
in 1,366.0 IP … led N.L. in L, ER, and HRA in 2006 … 4.76 ERA in 10
postseason appearances … .531 OPS, 5 HR … Silver Slugger in 2005.
John Habyan, Bay Shore. 11 seasons with Orioles, Yankees,
Royals, Cardinals, Angels, and Rockies … 26-24 W-L, 3.85 ERA, 1.358
WHIP, 12 SV, 372 K in 532.1 IP … former teammates with Mel Hall.
Paul Gibson, Southampton. 8 seasons with Tigers, Mets, and
Yankees … 22-24 W-L, 4.07 ERA, 1.448 WHIP, 345 K in 556.2 IP … gave me
pitching lessons in Bellport in 1999.
Matt Daley, Garden City. Rookie with the Rockies … ace pitcher for 2000 NY State Champion Garden City Trojans.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 30
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 9
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 40
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save