Jun 21, 2009, 6:35 PM EDT
With the Dodgers and Angels less than two hours away from first pitch, here’s a few things to consider:
On the bump:
– John Lackey (2-2, 6.10) takes the hill for the Angels. Lackey enjoyed
his best start of the season in his last outing against the Giants,
fanning a season-high 10 while allowing three runs over seven innings.
He’s been shaky since missing the first six weeks of the season due to
inflammation in his pitching elbow, allowing 52 hits in 38 1/3 innings
(.335 BAA). Lefties are batting .422 against him thus far.
- Clayton Kershaw (3-5, 4.13) pitches for the Dodgers. Kershaw
blanked the Athletics over 5 2/3 innings in his last start, but
suffered a no-decision. He is winless in his last three starts, dating
back to May 27. The 21-year-old southpaw has a 70/42 K/BB ratio in 69
2/3 innings pitched this season.
Martin ends drought:
- Russell Martin connected for his first home run of the season in
the 6-4 win on Saturday night. The third-inning blast ended a 217
Figgins red-hot in June:
– Chone Figgins leads the majors with a .403 batting average since May 15.
– The Dodgers are an NL-best 24-16 since Manny Ramirez was suspended.
– Juan Rivera is batting .431/.508/.902 with six homers and nine RBI against left-handers this season
- Jonathan Broxton returned to the mound on Saturday after missing
three games with a sore toe. He allowed his first home run of the
season to Gary Matthews Jr., but still managed to notch his 16th save.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)