Jun 21, 2009, 6:35 PM EDT
With the Dodgers and Angels less than two hours away from first pitch, here’s a few things to consider:
On the bump:
– John Lackey (2-2, 6.10) takes the hill for the Angels. Lackey enjoyed
his best start of the season in his last outing against the Giants,
fanning a season-high 10 while allowing three runs over seven innings.
He’s been shaky since missing the first six weeks of the season due to
inflammation in his pitching elbow, allowing 52 hits in 38 1/3 innings
(.335 BAA). Lefties are batting .422 against him thus far.
– Clayton Kershaw (3-5, 4.13) pitches for the Dodgers. Kershaw
blanked the Athletics over 5 2/3 innings in his last start, but
suffered a no-decision. He is winless in his last three starts, dating
back to May 27. The 21-year-old southpaw has a 70/42 K/BB ratio in 69
2/3 innings pitched this season.
Martin ends drought:
– Russell Martin connected for his first home run of the season in
the 6-4 win on Saturday night. The third-inning blast ended a 217
Figgins red-hot in June:
– Chone Figgins leads the majors with a .403 batting average since May 15.
– The Dodgers are an NL-best 24-16 since Manny Ramirez was suspended.
– Juan Rivera is batting .431/.508/.902 with six homers and nine RBI against left-handers this season
– Jonathan Broxton returned to the mound on Saturday after missing
three games with a sore toe. He allowed his first home run of the
season to Gary Matthews Jr., but still managed to notch his 16th save.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 61
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 94
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)