Jun 21, 2009, 5:58 PM EDT
– Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the 15-day disabled list due
to right shoulder weakness. An MRI showed no structural damage, but
manager Terry Francona mentioned that he likely won’t return anytime
soon, saying, “We have a lot of work ahead of us to get him back to
– Jeremy Guthrie tossed seven innings of one-run ball as the Orioles completed a sweep of the first-place Phillies on Sunday. The defending World Champions are now just 13-22 at home.
– Paul Konerko drove in the 1,000th run of his career on Sunday as the White Sox topped the Reds 4-1.
– Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd squashed rumors that Brad Hawpe might be on the trade block.
– Albert Pujols homered twice — including a grand slam — and drove in six as the Cardinals cruised past the Royals
12-5. Pujols now leads the majors with 26 home runs and 68 RBI. With
the win, Tony LaRussa joined Connie Mack (3,831) and John McGraw
(2,763) as the only managers to reach 2,500 wins.
– Brad Lidge is likely to be activated from the disabled list this week.
– David Ortiz homered again on Sunday, but the Red Sox defeated the
Braves 6-5 in walk-off fashion behind the unlikely Nick Green, who wrapped the ball around the Pesky Pole to secure the victory.
– And finally, the future of Steven Soderbergh’s “Moneyball” is in doubt.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)