Jun 21, 2009, 5:58 PM EST
- Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the 15-day disabled list due
to right shoulder weakness. An MRI showed no structural damage, but
manager Terry Francona mentioned that he likely won’t return anytime
soon, saying, “We have a lot of work ahead of us to get him back to
- Jeremy Guthrie tossed seven innings of one-run ball as the Orioles completed a sweep of the first-place Phillies on Sunday. The defending World Champions are now just 13-22 at home.
- Paul Konerko drove in the 1,000th run of his career on Sunday as the White Sox topped the Reds 4-1.
- Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd squashed rumors that Brad Hawpe might be on the trade block.
- Albert Pujols homered twice — including a grand slam — and drove in six as the Cardinals cruised past the Royals
12-5. Pujols now leads the majors with 26 home runs and 68 RBI. With
the win, Tony LaRussa joined Connie Mack (3,831) and John McGraw
(2,763) as the only managers to reach 2,500 wins.
- Brad Lidge is likely to be activated from the disabled list this week.
- David Ortiz homered again on Sunday, but the Red Sox defeated the
Braves 6-5 in walk-off fashion behind the unlikely Nick Green, who wrapped the ball around the Pesky Pole to secure the victory.
- And finally, the future of Steven Soderbergh’s “Moneyball” is in doubt.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)