Jun 21, 2009, 5:58 PM EDT
– Daisuke Matsuzaka was placed on the 15-day disabled list due
to right shoulder weakness. An MRI showed no structural damage, but
manager Terry Francona mentioned that he likely won’t return anytime
soon, saying, “We have a lot of work ahead of us to get him back to
– Jeremy Guthrie tossed seven innings of one-run ball as the Orioles completed a sweep of the first-place Phillies on Sunday. The defending World Champions are now just 13-22 at home.
– Paul Konerko drove in the 1,000th run of his career on Sunday as the White Sox topped the Reds 4-1.
– Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd squashed rumors that Brad Hawpe might be on the trade block.
– Albert Pujols homered twice — including a grand slam — and drove in six as the Cardinals cruised past the Royals
12-5. Pujols now leads the majors with 26 home runs and 68 RBI. With
the win, Tony LaRussa joined Connie Mack (3,831) and John McGraw
(2,763) as the only managers to reach 2,500 wins.
– Brad Lidge is likely to be activated from the disabled list this week.
- David Ortiz homered again on Sunday, but the Red Sox defeated the
Braves 6-5 in walk-off fashion behind the unlikely Nick Green, who wrapped the ball around the Pesky Pole to secure the victory.
– And finally, the future of Steven Soderbergh’s “Moneyball” is in doubt.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)