Jun 22, 2009, 10:19 AM EST
At this point, why not?
Roger Clemens might write a book to get his side of the story out in
his nasty dispute with Brian McNamee, his former trainer . . . “I’ve
already written one book earlier in my career. … At this point there
have been many conversations about me sitting down to write another
one, and I guess that is a real possibility.”
Amazon actually has him down as the author of two books, one with Peter Gammons and another with Jonathan Mayo.
Given that they’re both about how incredibly awesome he is, one can
only assume that they’re fiction, so maybe Roger isn’t counting these.
There’s only one little snag to this potential book deal, however:
In addition, a federal grand jury in Washington is investigating
whether Clemens lied when he told a Congressional committee that he
didn’t use performance-enhancing drugs.
Because it’s always a good idea to provide a grand jury with 200 pages
of new information when you’re facing a perjury indictment. Some of
your answers may have been ambiguous and unchargeable! What a public
service it would be for Clemens to provide enough context to them to
render the lies in full, clear relief. Obviously this book is a bad
idea that no good lawyer would ever allow is client to write.
Thankfully, though, Rusty Hardin is Clemens’ lawyer, and based on
everything he’s done for Roger thus far, there’s no reason to believe
he’s a good lawyer. As such, we may very well see this wonderful book
on the shelves by Christmas!
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)