Jun 23, 2009, 2:53 PM EDT
* After three weeks on the disabled list with what MLB.com calls “an undisclosed stress-related issue” Joey Votto is back with the Reds
and in the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Blue Jays.
Votto was hitting .357/.464/.627 with eight homers, 10 doubles, and 23
walks in 151 plate appearances before landing on the shelf and the Reds
went 8-13 without him.
* According to the Philadelphia Daily News, Ryan Howard is expected to play tonight
after his MLB-best streak of 343 straight games was snapped Sunday
because of acute sinusitis. Howard was hospitalized over the weekend
with a 104-degree fever, but still managed to smack a three-run homer
off the bench Saturday.
* Grady Sizemore is back
after being on the DL since last month with left elbow inflammation,
but has said that season-ending surgery may still be needed if he
suffers another setback. Sizemore was hitting just .233/.309/.417 in 49
games before taking the time off and will be playing through pain, so
it’ll be interesting to see if he can get back on track while in the
lineup every day.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)