Jun 23, 2009, 2:53 PM EDT
* After three weeks on the disabled list with what MLB.com calls “an undisclosed stress-related issue” Joey Votto is back with the Reds
and in the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Blue Jays.
Votto was hitting .357/.464/.627 with eight homers, 10 doubles, and 23
walks in 151 plate appearances before landing on the shelf and the Reds
went 8-13 without him.
* According to the Philadelphia Daily News, Ryan Howard is expected to play tonight
after his MLB-best streak of 343 straight games was snapped Sunday
because of acute sinusitis. Howard was hospitalized over the weekend
with a 104-degree fever, but still managed to smack a three-run homer
off the bench Saturday.
* Grady Sizemore is back
after being on the DL since last month with left elbow inflammation,
but has said that season-ending surgery may still be needed if he
suffers another setback. Sizemore was hitting just .233/.309/.417 in 49
games before taking the time off and will be playing through pain, so
it’ll be interesting to see if he can get back on track while in the
lineup every day.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 3
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)