Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
* Jack Cust is one of the slowest, least athletic players in baseball,
plays for one of the most station-to-station teams in the league, and
came into this year with zero career steals in 342 games, yet swiped his second base of the season last night on a straight steal attempt off the Jonathan Sanchez-Bengie Molina battery.
Cust now has the same number of steals as, among others, Alex
Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Orlando Cabrera, Placido Polanco, J.D. Drew,
David Eckstein, Delmon Young, Nick Markakis, Evan Longoria, Elijah
Dukes, and Yunel Escobar. “He’ll steal one occasionally when they’re
not paying attention to him,” manager Bob Geren said.
* Jeff got the better of Jered in Saturday night’s clash of Weaver brothers, but both pitchers said afterward that they’re hoping to avoid a second matchup.
* With his major-league career over thanks for shoulder injuries, Matt Clement is now coaching high school basketball at his alma mater in Pittsburgh.
* Matt Palmer’s deal with the devil may have expired last night, as the minor-league veteran suffered his first loss after starting the season with six straight wins.
* Judging from his problem, Brendan Ryan should try hanging out with me for a while.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 33
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)