Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
* Jack Cust is one of the slowest, least athletic players in baseball,
plays for one of the most station-to-station teams in the league, and
came into this year with zero career steals in 342 games, yet swiped his second base of the season last night on a straight steal attempt off the Jonathan Sanchez-Bengie Molina battery.
Cust now has the same number of steals as, among others, Alex
Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Orlando Cabrera, Placido Polanco, J.D. Drew,
David Eckstein, Delmon Young, Nick Markakis, Evan Longoria, Elijah
Dukes, and Yunel Escobar. “He’ll steal one occasionally when they’re
not paying attention to him,” manager Bob Geren said.
* Jeff got the better of Jered in Saturday night’s clash of Weaver brothers, but both pitchers said afterward that they’re hoping to avoid a second matchup.
* With his major-league career over thanks for shoulder injuries, Matt Clement is now coaching high school basketball at his alma mater in Pittsburgh.
* Matt Palmer’s deal with the devil may have expired last night, as the minor-league veteran suffered his first loss after starting the season with six straight wins.
* Judging from his problem, Brendan Ryan should try hanging out with me for a while.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)