Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
* Jack Cust is one of the slowest, least athletic players in baseball,
plays for one of the most station-to-station teams in the league, and
came into this year with zero career steals in 342 games, yet swiped his second base of the season last night on a straight steal attempt off the Jonathan Sanchez-Bengie Molina battery.
Cust now has the same number of steals as, among others, Alex
Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Orlando Cabrera, Placido Polanco, J.D. Drew,
David Eckstein, Delmon Young, Nick Markakis, Evan Longoria, Elijah
Dukes, and Yunel Escobar. “He’ll steal one occasionally when they’re
not paying attention to him,” manager Bob Geren said.
* Jeff got the better of Jered in Saturday night’s clash of Weaver brothers, but both pitchers said afterward that they’re hoping to avoid a second matchup.
* With his major-league career over thanks for shoulder injuries, Matt Clement is now coaching high school basketball at his alma mater in Pittsburgh.
* Matt Palmer’s deal with the devil may have expired last night, as the minor-league veteran suffered his first loss after starting the season with six straight wins.
* Judging from his problem, Brendan Ryan should try hanging out with me for a while.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona