Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
* Jack Cust is one of the slowest, least athletic players in baseball,
plays for one of the most station-to-station teams in the league, and
came into this year with zero career steals in 342 games, yet swiped his second base of the season last night on a straight steal attempt off the Jonathan Sanchez-Bengie Molina battery.
Cust now has the same number of steals as, among others, Alex
Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Orlando Cabrera, Placido Polanco, J.D. Drew,
David Eckstein, Delmon Young, Nick Markakis, Evan Longoria, Elijah
Dukes, and Yunel Escobar. “He’ll steal one occasionally when they’re
not paying attention to him,” manager Bob Geren said.
* Jeff got the better of Jered in Saturday night’s clash of Weaver brothers, but both pitchers said afterward that they’re hoping to avoid a second matchup.
* With his major-league career over thanks for shoulder injuries, Matt Clement is now coaching high school basketball at his alma mater in Pittsburgh.
* Matt Palmer’s deal with the devil may have expired last night, as the minor-league veteran suffered his first loss after starting the season with six straight wins.
* Judging from his problem, Brendan Ryan should try hanging out with me for a while.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8