Jun 23, 2009, 11:44 AM EST
* Jack Cust is one of the slowest, least athletic players in baseball,
plays for one of the most station-to-station teams in the league, and
came into this year with zero career steals in 342 games, yet swiped his second base of the season last night on a straight steal attempt off the Jonathan Sanchez-Bengie Molina battery.
Cust now has the same number of steals as, among others, Alex
Rodriguez, Andruw Jones, Orlando Cabrera, Placido Polanco, J.D. Drew,
David Eckstein, Delmon Young, Nick Markakis, Evan Longoria, Elijah
Dukes, and Yunel Escobar. “He’ll steal one occasionally when they’re
not paying attention to him,” manager Bob Geren said.
* Jeff got the better of Jered in Saturday night’s clash of Weaver brothers, but both pitchers said afterward that they’re hoping to avoid a second matchup.
* With his major-league career over thanks for shoulder injuries, Matt Clement is now coaching high school basketball at his alma mater in Pittsburgh.
* Matt Palmer’s deal with the devil may have expired last night, as the minor-league veteran suffered his first loss after starting the season with six straight wins.
* Judging from his problem, Brendan Ryan should try hanging out with me for a while.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)