Jun 23, 2009, 4:08 PM EDT
* Things have gotten so bad for the Mets on the injury front
that Jose Reyes and trainer Ray Ramirez were rear-ended by a firetruck
yesterday while driving to the hospital for a check-up on the
shortstop’s strained calf. Seriously. No one was hurt, but the Mets’ season is starting to resemble the plot of those Final Destination movies.
* During a radio interview
this morning, Ryne Sandberg said that fellow Cubs great Sammy Sosa
shouldn’t join him in the Hall of Fame. Coincidentally, today is also the 25th anniversary of “The Sandberg Game.”
* Speaking of the Twins, general manager Bill Smith doesn’t seem to care that the bullpen has been an obvious weakness since the middle of last season.
* Alex Speier of WEEI.com wrote a lengthy and interesting behind-the-scenes look at the Red Sox’s draft.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 52
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 21
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29