Jun 23, 2009, 4:08 PM EDT
* Things have gotten so bad for the Mets on the injury front
that Jose Reyes and trainer Ray Ramirez were rear-ended by a firetruck
yesterday while driving to the hospital for a check-up on the
shortstop’s strained calf. Seriously. No one was hurt, but the Mets’ season is starting to resemble the plot of those Final Destination movies.
* During a radio interview
this morning, Ryne Sandberg said that fellow Cubs great Sammy Sosa
shouldn’t join him in the Hall of Fame. Coincidentally, today is also the 25th anniversary of “The Sandberg Game.”
* Speaking of the Twins, general manager Bill Smith doesn’t seem to care that the bullpen has been an obvious weakness since the middle of last season.
* Alex Speier of WEEI.com wrote a lengthy and interesting behind-the-scenes look at the Red Sox’s draft.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)