Jun 24, 2009, 5:56 PM EST
– After Matt Lindstrom’s second straight ugly outing Tuesday, it was
determined Wednesday that he had a sprained elbow ligament and would
miss at least six weeks.
Lindstrom, who injured his shoulder in the WBC, has likely been
pitching hurt all season. The results certainly suggest it, not that
they stopped the Marlins from having him pitch in both games of a
doubleheader during May and work on three straight days twice in the
last month. If rehab doesn’t work, Lindstrom is likely looking at Tommy
John surgery. Leo Nunez is going to take over the closer’s role and
should be an upgrade.
– The Indians made a pair of minor deals, shipping first baseman
Michael Aubrey to the Orioles for a player to be named and acquiring
reliever Jose Veras from the Yankees for cash.
Veras had a 3.59 ERA in 57 2/3 innings for the Bombers last season,
but he was at 5.96 this year before getting designated for assignment.
His velocity is down a bit and he’s always had poor command, but he
might be an adequate middle man for a team that could use one.
The Orioles, on the other hand, don’t gain anything by picking up
Aubrey, a 2003 first-round pick who had his potential sapped by
injuries. A singles and doubles hitter, he’s a poor man’s Sean Casey.
The retired Casey, not the one who was a quality regular in his prime.
– Gary Sheffield received a cortisone shot for his sore right knee and won’t start again until at least Friday.
Maybe Sheffield’s body would have held up had the Mets been able to
limit him to a couple of starts in the outfield per week. However, they
can’t be blamed for trying to make him a regular when he was playing so
well and injuries decimated the lineup. Unfortunately, his knee
problems seem destined to put him on the disabled list, though the Mets
say that’s not a consideration right now. Fernando Tatis and Jeremy
Reed stand to pick up more playing time.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)