Jun 25, 2009, 2:14 PM EST
* Apparently not willing to simply wait for Milton Bradley’s next injury, manager Lou Piniella has decided to just bench him for a couple games. That three-year, $30 million deal is looking better every day.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports
that several teams are interested in Cliff Lee, but the Indians are
holding out for “a potential top-of-the-rotation starter at the level
of” Tommy Hanson or Clay Buchholz. You wouldn’t know it based on his
support-deprived record, but Lee is pitching nearly as well as he did
in winning the Cy Young award last season.
* General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated yesterday
that the Phillies are in the market for a veteran starting pitcher, but
said that “the availability really isn’t there” because “the number of
buyers and the number of sellers aren’t close to equaling each other.”
* Add the Rangers to the ever-growing list of teams opting to pass on Pedro Martinez, who’s reportedly still seeking a $5 million deal prorated for the remaining games.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (100)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)