Jun 25, 2009, 2:14 PM EST
* Apparently not willing to simply wait for Milton Bradley’s next injury, manager Lou Piniella has decided to just bench him for a couple games. That three-year, $30 million deal is looking better every day.
* Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports
that several teams are interested in Cliff Lee, but the Indians are
holding out for “a potential top-of-the-rotation starter at the level
of” Tommy Hanson or Clay Buchholz. You wouldn’t know it based on his
support-deprived record, but Lee is pitching nearly as well as he did
in winning the Cy Young award last season.
* General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. indicated yesterday
that the Phillies are in the market for a veteran starting pitcher, but
said that “the availability really isn’t there” because “the number of
buyers and the number of sellers aren’t close to equaling each other.”
* Add the Rangers to the ever-growing list of teams opting to pass on Pedro Martinez, who’s reportedly still seeking a $5 million deal prorated for the remaining games.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)